Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

random question about rugby jerseys..

Options
  • 14-06-2008 6:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hey All,

just have a random question that needs answering! (result of a random argument with the old man...) Does anyone know what the biggest selling rugby jersey in the world is, and if so could they point me in the right direction for getting stats to back it up?

I'd have thought that it would be NZ, however he maintains that the English jersey would outsell that..

Any help would be much appreciated!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

hmmm...

Just so you know. There are 125,000 rugby players in Japan. 120 million people live there. Could be a candidate.

NZ would seem likely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭dc69

johnnyutah wrote: »
    Hey All,

just have a random question that needs answering! (result of a random argument with the old man...) Does anyone know what the biggest selling rugby jersey in the world is, and if so could they point me in the right direction for getting stats to back it up?

I'd have thought that it would be NZ, however he maintains that the English jersey would outsell that..

Any help would be much appreciated!

I would have thought england by far.

nz have a populatation of 4 million,they might sell up to 2 million jerseys outside nz.

Englands population is 50 million.
    hmmm...

Just so you know. There are 125,000 rugby players in Japan. 120 million people live there. Could be a candidate.

NZ would seem likely.

The chinese and japanese are generally bandwagon jumpers for fads and things,they like western things etc.

I would imagine they would all have nz and england jerseys.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

There's the whole All Black mystic which would ship far more jerseys outside their home country than England could. Plus rugby is the no1 NZ sport while in England its a 3rd sport at best, I know there's the massive population difference but the whole All Black factor thing can't be ruled out. After all its the most recognisable rugby brand worldwide and Adidas pay massive money for the privelage, they'd only be doing that if it was a huge seller.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

I would say the All Blacks jersey would be the biggest selling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

french should be up there though no?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

What are we talking about here, the actual replica jersey or the official sorts line (t-shirts, hoodies etc), I'd say the All Blacks would be tops they'd have worldwide sales, England cant really say that.

The Lions would be up there especially since 2002.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

2005 might counteract that tho...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Abercrombie Dud

my dad knows a canterbury rep and he said the munster jersey was the biggest selling club jersey in the world a couple of years ago.

dont know about international though???

my guess is new zealand

my dad knows a canterbury rep and he said the munster jersey was the biggest selling club jersey in the world a couple of years ago.

Seeing the amount of people in Dublin wearing them,I wouldnt be surprised:(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

I wear mine in Dublin, but I'm from Cork so I hope thats ok?!

I have one of those Japanese jerseys, one of the nicer international ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

bigkev49 wrote: »
    I wear mine in Dublin, but I'm from Cork so I hope thats ok?!

I have one of those Japanese jerseys, one of the nicer international ones.

I've the Japanese one as well, nice jersey, got it on the cheap from lovells.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Been meaning to get that one myself for a while.

Odds on? AB's or Munster, hence why Adidas have thrown so much cash at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

Yeah the tongan on looks fairly cool alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Crash

The Hawkes bay jersey on there looks animal as well :) think i've found my next purchase ;)

*warning: it aint actually that great, just looks cool to me :P*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

My first reaction was England, there are a lot of England rugby fans and a lot of them have jerseys.

Munster too, they are fliping everywhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 johnnyutah

Hey All,

thanks for the replies.. looks like I won't be winning the argument! My logic was that only English would buy the England jersey, whereas anyone with a passing interest in rugby would probably have a New Zealand jersey stashed away somewhere.. including a lot of English supporters!

Hell, even most of the South Africans I work with will admit to having a NZ jersey or two..

If you are really desperate to know,email these guys

customerservice@canterburyofnz.com

let us know:)

• Registered Users Posts: 15 johnnyutah

Hey Guys,

many thanks for all the responses.. Looks like I finally got an answer! It appears that the New Zealand jersey is the biggest selling jersey worldwide (proving my side of the argument, excellent!!), whilst the Munster jersey is the biggest selling one in Europe (not so good news for a Leinster fan such as myself).

Again thanks for all the replies!

Got my answer from AQA by the way, in case anyone's interested!

Advertisement