Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rest of season

Options
  • 14-06-2008 2:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭

Right lads I don't think it's very productive to have this place like a library just because we're not in good form or whatever, when we're winning it seems like it's much busier round these parts...

If anyone wants to try troubleshoot, I'm sure most would agree now is the time to offer your suggestions.

We've 8 league games remaining and we're 11pts behind 4th place. IMHO it would take something special to reach fourth spot, so here and now we should be aiming for 5th spot, currently occupied by two teams on 14pts, only 4pts ahead of ourselves.

We've lost 6 from 10, so might as well be realistic about where we can pick up points between now and September.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

Yeh 5th place is what we should be aiming for. On our day I think we're easily the 3rd best team in this league at least so obviously it's a bit disappointing the way things have gone. We're still a good bit short of challenging for a league of this standard imo. We should aim to win half of our remaining games I reckon and then discuss what'll happen next season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

That's what I was thinking, 8 games left, if we can try win 4 of those we'd be doing well considering we still have to play most of the teams above us again.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

well maybe the fact that a good few of our players are unavailable means the place is going to be quite anyway!

its going to be tough to get results going forward, considering we are going to be missing players, yes the season is disappointing, but we need to be getting a consistent team to achieve anything. i dont think anybody could have predicted that we would be missing almost half the squad for most f the season. its something that has definatley cost us.

i think we should aim for 16-18 points form our last 24, i defo think that is achievable, but depends on who we have really. once we one win, i think that can lift us. we have some games coming up where we can get 4 wins. and then we have 3 tough games.

i may have boardeaux tinted glasses, but i have yet to come off the pitch in any game and say wow, they are a better team than us. any team that plays us knows they have been in a game, if we cut of mistakes and start turning possession into chances and ultmately goals, we can go places.

sav, you up for swapping upfront for center back for a game or 2? :) you play CB for your club and i normally play CF for mine, i think we can do a deal! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Yeh, it's pretty disappointing stuff alright, cos if we even had 9 of Des' first choice 11 available on a regular basis, I reckon we would be in a much better position. As it is, lack of consistency has been our problem and the inconsistent availability is the main reason for that. There's actually not many lads just not showing up one week or the next - mostly it's holidays, honeymoons, away for the summer, and genuine injuries. That doesn't make it any less frustrating though.

We've made some basic mistakes more often than in recent seasons and these have been punished more often than not, but I do feel a certain number of the points we have dropped is independent of the availability problem and is down to our tendency not to kill off games effectively - we definitely let teams back into games more than we get back into them when we are behind. Regardless of the personnel available, that's a team issue we need to address.

Based on performance this season to-date, I think 15 points from the 24 remaining would be a reasonable return and anything above that is a bonus. Naturally, we should try to win each game as it comes though, but that would be an improvement on the first half of the season.

I had the surgery last week but due to complications with the right leg, the surgeon decided that the internal cutting was too extensive and the risk of blood clotting would be too high to do both legs together, so he only did the right leg to give me more mobility during recovery to decrease risk of clotting. That means I'll have to go back for the left leg at a minimum of 6 weeks from now.

It's a bummer cos it means I'll likely be out for a very long time or else back very briefly and then gone again, but it's for the best cos even dealing with the one leg done has been difficult....there's 2 cuts in that mofo each about 8 inches long with 20 staples in each...it scores pretty highly on the gruesomeness scale and I have photos for a bit of show and tell. Good thing is the hospital was more hotel than hospital so I won't mind going back too much (www.sportssurgeryclinic.com).

I hope to be fit to drive next week so will make it to the game if cleared to drive when I meet the surgeon on Tuesday morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

That's **** that there was complications Jules. Hopefully you'll be fit in time for the Winter season which at this stage (barring the cup) is what we should be looking forward to.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

sav, you up for swapping upfront for center back for a game or 2? :) you play CB for your club and i normally play CF for mine, i think we can do a deal! :D
    I'll play wherever I'm asked bud ;)

Advertisement