Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Emigrating?

Options
  • 14-06-2008 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hi all,

I am just wondering if anyone out there has, or is considering, emigrating alone or with their families. I know one family who have, but given how expensive Ireland is, and indeed the expected down turn in the economy, are more people activing seeking to emigrate??

Paul
    user_offline.gif
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I've emigrated. Twice.

The first time was six years ago, when I emigrated from Dublin to the south east of England. I'd just left a job in Dublin, was out of a long-term relationship just under a year, I'd moved back in with my parents and just felt like I really needed a change.

I moved to Surrey and started working through a temp job agency and then got settled with a full time job. It wasn't that much of a change - I liked the area, the people I worked with, was in touch with a few old friends who'd also moved. One of those old friends became my other half who I eventually married while in England.

About two years ago we decided to move to Australia, because house prices were too steep in England and we didn't want to move back to Ireland for similar reasons. We paid a three week holiday visit to where we wanted to live 18 months ago, and then 14 months ago we moved.

Basically your expectations are your biggest battle when you emigrate. When I moved to the UK, I had practically none. I was all 'wait and see' and it meant I went with the flow on everything. Moving to Australia I had a lot of expectations and nothing happened the way I thought it would. It made life extremely difficult.

Have you any ideas on where you would like to move to? Have you a young family or are you on your own? Would you be intent on moving to a country where English is everyone's first language, or would you consider mainland Europe, where English is everyone's good second language, or Asia, India or South America, where English is widely spoken, but not necessarily well spoken?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

I recently moved to NZ with my partner who is a kiwi. As MAJD a lot of things were not as expected. For one thing, NZ is not cheaper in the grand scheme of things. e.g. a lot of things are priced similarly to home but you earn half as much. However, there are lots of benefits to outweigh this. This is a good website to look at if you're looking at NZ:

http://www.emigratenz.org/forum/index.php

It's a forum for people who have moved or are in the process of moving to NZ. Most are based in the UK or South Africa and most are families with young children or young couples. If you have a good read of that then most people tell their stories and how they are finding NZ. They're also all very helpful!

Advertisement