Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what did you miss most if anything

Options
  • 14-06-2008 11:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭

so for the folk who made the switch from windows to mac

if you were not using parrels or some form of dual boot

what was the hardest part about the change and what did you miss most about windows if anything?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭ant043

never regret switching to mac there at january. there's nothing i really miss. Maybe just the fact that a few programmes need windows to run such as sky player.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

Winamp and uTorrent initially but I quickly replaced them with iTunes and Transmission. I still don't like iTunes though. Would love to see Winamp on OS X (it appeared briefly a few years but was discontinued).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭johnk123

Switching to mac was the best! I miss nothing really. But since i switched, so did my dad and the thing he missed(well needed really) was MS office. That was solved quickly and easily using office for mac. Other than that we dont miss a thing

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Deffo miss utorrent and google picassa...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭triple h

Ok, there may be one or two things everyone misses but there is a way around it. We may have to live without something we liked.

But the bigger picture is -- Life Is Better With Mac.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

winamp definitely, nothing comes close to it tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

triple h wrote: »
    But the bigger picture is -- Life Is Better With Mac.

No its not, I used to have money before I started buying macs.... I remember those days. :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭jpfahy

cut

Mr.S wrote: »
    and the "show desktop" button on windows, handy when you have to get to the desktop without closing/minimizing everything.

hot corner the desktop

sys. pref >> exposé & spaces, then set hot corner to desktop.

you can also set a button to minimise to desktop as well, mine is f11 which is default i think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Flashraziel

uTorrent as mentioned allready, and the "show desktop" button on windows, handy when you have to get to the desktop without closing/minimizing everything.

In system preferences click on Keyboard and mouse, choose keyboard shortcuts and assign a button to the "Desktop" function.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Interesting, i was expecting much bigger lists

is it not possible to run utorrent/winamp using cross over?

how to run utorrent on mac os

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

uTorrent as mentioned allready, and the "show desktop" button on windows, handy when you have to get to the desktop without closing/minimizing everything.

Interesting thing that. The only reason that I can think of to get at the desktop is to wade through the many icons unnecessarily placed there to find an app or file. On the Mac all the apps can be in the dock, all your files in the documents folder beside the trash can and using expose you can get at the desktop for anything else.

F8 starts Spaces - Leopards best feature (que Linux heads saying this has been on Linux distros for years), F9 squeezes all windows to fit onto the desktop, F10 I don't really understand - it highlights the active window, and F11 shoves all apps out to the edges of the screen to see the desktop.
    Imo, whenever i have a problem with the mac, its hell - i don't no what to do, as ive been with windows for the best part of 10 years - so it gets anoying having to google everything -.-

Now I feel hurt ! Just come here and we'll help you out :)

To turn it around a little, when I'm using a Windows machine in work I miss The simplicity of the dock, Dashboard, Aperture, Time Machine, iSync and Mail. Now I realise there are windows equivalents to all of these but they're just not as elegant to see or use imo.

ZEN

ZEN

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Thumper Long

ZENER wrote: »
    F10 I don't really understand - it highlights the active window

F10 is all the windows from the active application useful for when you have numerous finder windows active.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

WinAmp was my "loss", I much prefer iTunes now though because it runs so quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭ec18

I miss Dawn of War :( other than that its great!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

I miss:

Winamp/Mediamonkey (or the lack of any real alternative to iTunes)
    Picasa (luckily a Mac release is rumoured for this year)
    Sony Sound Forge.
    Zillions of free/esoteric/experimental audio plugins.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,916 ✭✭✭dubmick

I never really got why people prefer Winamp to iTunes. I used to used winamp about 10 years ago and while it was grand to use I much prefer iTunes.

dubmick wrote: »
    I never really got why people prefer Winamp to iTunes. I used to used winamp about 10 years ago and while it was grand to use I much prefer iTunes.

it was it's no-bullcrap approach that i liked the best.

i had the small classic player, i add songs to play list and away i go.

i use it here in work where i have a dual monitor set up (have to use win2k though :() and i feel to get anything out of itunes i need to use it in fullscreen mode.

now when you have photoshop/two vnc connections/outlook/text editor/web browser etc open you just don't have space (even on two monitors) for another full sized application.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

cornbb wrote: »
    I miss:

Winamp/Mediamonkey (or the lack of any real alternative to iTunes)
    Picasa (luckily a Mac release is rumoured for this year)
    Sony Sound Forge.
    Zillions of free/esoteric/experimental audio plugins.
    If you've nothing against Java, Jajuk is a fairly decent piece of software (Last FM support as well).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

Can't believe not more people haven't mentioned MS Office. Nothing on Mac comes close. Office 2008 for Mac and iWork don't really do it.
    Picasa too, and GSAK (geocaching prog)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

There's a good few things I miss:
    Foobar2000 (music player) -very low footprint software, loads of extensions and add-ons, i've including an extension for the best music library I've used. I use itunes now.

Picasa - as said above. I dont really like iphoto.

Microsoft Office 2007 - Office 08 for mac just isnt as good.

Initially i missed utorrent but transmmission is just as good if a little different.

I also missed mIRC, so much so that I bought an IRC Client called snak, which I no longer use (use irssi now, on windows and mac).

Games: there are a few games I miss, particularly armadillo run and bridge construction set.

Matlab isnt as good on mac.

Despite all that my mac is in for repair at the moment and I am back on windows, and its wrecking my head! However, if MS were to build a good operating system, I'd go back to PC's because people make great apps for it.

Advertisement