Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Injured bird - What to do?

Options
  • 13-06-2008 10:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I stopped a cat attacking a bird in garden and now don't know how to help the bird.
    Its a small young brown bird like a sparrow. No visable signs of injury, but it can't walk. It just falls over.

We have it in a small box with a blanket and water.

Anyone know how we can help it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

with an young bird keep it in a nest of tissue paper in a small box like you get in the chinese or something. put it then on a hot water bottle. feed it cat kibbles in baby porridge, four or five pieces every hour or two, wenever it hungry. ring 'bird watch ireland' and they should help you futher! dont worry if its not walking yet. it will in the next day or two. hope dat helps!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 razzle60

Thanks for the advice, will give it a go and see then tomorrow.

cheers again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭ODD-JOB

Im guessing the hot water bottle should be luke warm only ,........... they're sensitive to heat especially ?!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

ODD-JOB wrote: »
    Im guessing the hot water bottle should be luke warm only ,........... they're sensitive to heat especially ?!

opps yeah sorry!! dats wat i meant. i forgot to say that they dont need water either!!:o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭Demonique

I phoned the RSPCA about an injured young bird a few years back, they just said the best thing to do was let nature take its course because the bird often dies from the shock of human contact

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Be careful what you feed the bird esp. if it's a seed eater feeding meat based food may kill it. Many vets provide free vet care for wild animals. None of the pet forums I have been on have a sticky about what to do when you find an injured or baby bird and there have been so many posts on other boards as well about this.

If people find a baby bird out of it's nest leave it alone, the parents usually still feed the baby.

If you find an injured baby bird, find out the species and what the parent bird would feed it.

Some birds will die from shock or dehydration but some will pull through with the proper care.
    Don't agree with the advice the RSPCA (or did you mean ISPCA?) gave you, a wild birds life is just as valid as a dog or cats why shouldn't people make the effort to save a wild bird if they can.

This is a UK link but no reason why you couldn't give them a call for advice
    http://www.secretworld.co.uk/data/contacts.htm

There's also a lady on the petsireland board under the name Kiokio that deals with wildlife so might be able to advise you on what to feed the bird etc.

Advertisement