Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can no longer save to memory stick

Options
  • 13-06-2008 9:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭

I have a memory stick, about one year old, which has been in the back of the PC all the time so not being moved around and damaged.

I've noticed that I can no longer save to the stick, although I can still open and use saved documents from the stick.

When I try to save it states "The directory or file cannot be created."

Any ideas why this might be? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭trout

zoe wrote: »
    I have a memory stick, about one year old, which has been in the back of the PC all the time so not being moved around and damaged.

I've noticed that I can no longer save to the stick, although I can still open and use saved documents from the stick.

When I try to save it states "The directory or file cannot be created."

Any ideas why this might be? Thanks

What capacity is the stick ? Have you checked for free space ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Flash memory has a limited number of read and write operations before it gives up. This might not be the problem but it does happen eventually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭zoe

Yeah, there's loads of space on it as I have very little on it.

I just back up a simple word document once a week, so at most it's only been saved on maybe 50 times, but there's definitely plenty of space on it.

Maybe it's just kicked the bucket...:(

First thing is to make sure you have copies of the data on the stick.

Remove it from the back of the PC, check the contacts for dust or dirt, and then reseat it. Maybe in a different USB port, or PC ? Make sure the connection is solid.

Can you describe how & when the error comes about ?
    Do you have any other USB devices that are acting up ?
    Post back and let us know what OS you are using ... I'm guess Windows ... there may be some disk diagnostics you could run.

Flash drives can fail, and sometimes suffer general abuse from being ported about ... but they are also cheap as chips.

If you reseat the key, and it's still acting up ... maybe consider replacing it ?

trout wrote: »
    Remove it from the back of the PC, check the contacts for dust or dirt, and then reseat it. Maybe in a different USB port, or PC ? Make sure the connection is solid.

Thanks trout, just done that but unfortunately hasn't worked.

Can you describe how & when the error comes about ?
    When I try to save something the pc freezes in that window for a few seconds (in other open windows the pc is working normally) then after a few seconds the message states "The directory or file cannot be created."

It can open from the memory stick without any problem.
    Do you have any other USB devices that are acting up ?
    No, everything else is working fine.

Post back and let us know what OS you are using ... I'm guess Windows ... there may be some disk diagnostics you could run.
    Yeah, it's windows XP.

Flash drives can fail, and sometimes suffer general abuse from being ported about ... but they are also cheap as chips.

If you reseat the key, and it's still acting up ... maybe consider replacing it ?
    Yes, may have to do that...

• Advertisement

This is what MS support has to say ...

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windows2000serv/reskit/w2000Msgs/3748.mspx?mfr=true

When you say you back up a word doc ... is it the same file each time ?

What happens if you try and save a new file ... as in, one that does not already exist on the disk ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

try copying ,and deleting from dos mode, from dos prompt.i have a usb drive,i can only delete files in dos mode.

When you say you back up a word doc ... is it the same file each time ?

What happens if you try and save a new file ... as in, one that does not already exist on the disk ?

Good idea, hadn't thought about that.

I created a new file and tried to save that and it states "The directory or file cannot be created."

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Kavkid

Try creating a new folder, and saving your stuffin that, I know it worked for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,681 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Im surprised nobody has suggested this yet:

So you can read all the data on the stick? copy all of the data from the stick onto your desktop

In My Computer, right click the memory stick, and select Format.

Perform a Quick format and try to copy the files back from the desktop to the memory stick (Copy dont Cut for now..) if it fails, try formatting again, but do a full format: this will take considerably more time but may fix it.

• Advertisement

What he said. ^^ Makes good sense.

Although, if the disk format / fiile structure was fubared ... you'd expect read operations to fail as well :confused:

Thanks Overheal...! Got it sorted now!

Was doing as you suggested and was saving the files from the memory stick onto the PC and I've just noticed a flippin' big music file has been saved onto the stick! By my other half no doubt!

Sorry about that...:o Thanks very much for the help

• Registered Users Posts: 81,681 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

koolaid-large.jpg

So it was free disk space all along ? *kof* post 2 *kof*

All's well that end's well :)

Advertisement