Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freesat HD and recording programmes

Options
  • 13-06-2008 9:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of buying one of the new Humax receivers to get Freesat/HD.

Picking up on something I think 'Watty' said a few weeks ago --- there should be receivers available in a few months that have a built in hard disk together with a dual tuner allowing recording and watching on different channels.

I'm thinking it might be best to wait for these receivers.
    My question is - if I put in a dual tuner receiver do I need to use a twin LNB to get two separate signals.? If so do I need to run the the two cables through a diseq or do both cables have to be run down to the back of the receiver?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Gadgie

Twin LNB with two separate cables - DiSEqC won't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Reyman

Thanks Gadgie - appreciate your help!

So the diseq is only used as a 'combiner' for two separate satellite feeds?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Not so much a combiner but a switch to change between to satellite positions eg astra 2 and hotbird.

Reyman wrote: »
    Thanks Gadgie - appreciate your help!

So the diseq is only used as a 'combiner' for two separate satellite feeds?

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭Zaphod

The Humax boxes are supposed to support Unicable/Single Cable Distribution, so in conjunction with a Unicable LNBF, the Humax PVR should be able to fully function with a single cable looped through to the second tuner.

(Although nobody has posted actual screenshots of the Diseqc or Unicable menus in the Humax boxes to date.)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

However a Quad LNB and two coaxs is cheaper. Unicable LNBFs are expensive and only go up to 8 or 16 tuners (4 or 8 PVRs). Quattro LNB and Multiswitch is cheap and easy to expand to 32 tuners/16PVRs and handle four satellites.

If unicable LNBFs get to same price as Quads, then I suppose they may be popular. But very few receivers support them.

• Advertisement

Any news on the humax pvr?
    Whats the delay?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Didn't we hear it would be Christmas?

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

watty wrote: »
    Didn't we hear it would be Christmas?
    Yeah, I believe November was mentioned. It's a considerable delay, and doesn't help the launch of Freesat IMO, with hardware choice being somewhat limited.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭stanley1

byte wrote: »
    Yeah, I believe November was mentioned. It's a considerable delay, and doesn't help the launch of Freesat IMO, with hardware choice being somewhat limited.

Has anyone bought a Humax foxsat freesat box, digital spy has lots of posts on lip-sync problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭mburke

I purchased the Humax Freesat HD box and can state that I have had no issues. I carried out an update via the options menu as there was one available. All in all it seems to be a good system and a real alternative to Sky.

• Advertisement
Advertisement