Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Installing new Nvidia Driver - Question?

Options
  • 13-06-2008 9:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭

Windows XP Pro.

I have just downloaded a new driver for my Nvidia 7900 GS graphics card.

I'd like a clean installation rather than installing over the old driver.

If I uninstall the old driver first, what happens? How will I be able to view the screen in order to install the new one?

Thanks.

D.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,677 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

your computer will default to its onboard graphics chipset. Every computer has one. your resolution will be either 800x600 or 640x480 until you install the new driver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Overheal wrote: »
    your computer will default to its onboard graphics chipset. Every computer has one. your resolution will be either 800x600 or 640x480 until you install the new driver.

Not correct, not all motherboards have an onboard graphics chip.

What will actually happen is when you uninstall the nvidia driver the windows vga driver will kick in. Nothing bad will happen you just wont be able to play any games. i would reccomend you use a program called driver cleaner to removed all traces of the original driver, then install the new drivers after a reboot. 5 mins tops is what it will take.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,677 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

thats what i meant :o wouldnt think to call it the vga driver though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

hehe, easy mistake :)

Advertisement