Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Police Check for Visa Application

Options
  • 13-06-2008 1:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭

Howdy,

I'm currently in NZ on a Working holiday visa. I applied for this visa because it was quickly approved and no hassle. I regret this now.

I'm entitled to a partnership visa as my bf is a nz citizen and we have lived together for over a year. (that's the main criteria). Anyhoo, I should have applied for my partnership visa before I came here because it's getting complicated.

My main problem is I need a garda certificate. I think it is basically to prove I'm not a criminal and that me and my bf have not been involved in any domestic disputes where the police were called. I called me local garda station and they said they did not do that and referred me to the central vetting unit in Thurles. I only got an answering machine there but their voice mail said they do not do personal vetting and if you needed that to go to the HR department of your employer! (I'm presuming that's for clearance to work with kids etc). There was no mention of garda clearance for visas.

Anyway, I'm miles away from Ireland in NZ so can't pop down to the garda station.

Has anyone else had to get garda clearance for visas? How did you go about it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Hey watna

I had to do it with the Garda Station in Bray and with the police in the UK for my spouse visa for Australia.

I did the one in Bray while I was back in Ireland. I had an extended conversation with the youngfella at the desk because he told me repeatedly they didn't do it. Eventually I had to explain to him that all I wanted was a letter to say I don't have a criminal record. There's no requirement for them to vouch for my character or any such like.

He agreed to it eventually, but I had to bring ID - my passport, proof of my address while I lived in Ireland, various other bits and pieces. I even brought photocopies for him and he studied those suspiciously before signing that they were real likenesses of the originals, and taking them aside.

I left it with him, and four weeks later they forwarded the letter of approval to my parents.

Ring your local garda station back. Explain you need a letter stating you do not have a criminal record so that you can apply for a visa. Explain you are in New Zealand. Refuse to be fobbed off. Get their fax number. Follow up your request on the phone by faxing a letter explaining what you want and including copies of any ID you have and so on.

Don't use the terms "garda certificate" or "certificate of character" in your letter or on the phone, because the gardai appear to be petrified of both of those terms. Just call it "a letter stating that I have no criminal record". Reinforce the fact that it's only for a partner visa, and it's not something to let you work with children.

There seems to be a real case of buck-passing when it comes to police letters for your visa applications, and I refuse to believe I was the first person to go to Bray garda station looking for such a thing, but they behaved as though I was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Thanks MAJD.

I'm actually sitting here in tears. I'm so frustrated with this whole thing. I've just had a long day with it.

I called the gardai in Shankill. If my dad goes down with my details they will give me a letter no problem. However, they will not do one for my partner. He lived and worked in Ireland for 3 years but because he is personally not applying for the visa, I am, they will not give him a letter. We both need letters stating we have no criminal record to get the visa.

I'm going out this evening so don't have any time for stroppy phone calls. It's probably for the best, I'll just end up either shouting or crying to someone on the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Skittlebrau

Thought I'd give my experience here too for what it's worth. I had to get a Police cert from Ireland and the FBI in the states for my visa for Oz. Had to send my fingerprints to the feds in America and just sent a letter to my local Garda station back home (addressed to the Super for the District). Actually, now that I think about it, the Super is based in my local station so you'd probably have to confirm where your district Super is and send it there.

It all went very very smoothly. The FBI one arrived in 2 weeks and the Garda one took 2 months.

Here's what the Garda website says about it. I reckon your partner should be able to get one too.

How do I obtain a Police Certificate?

Police Certificates are issued only for the attention of Consular Authorities and for Foreign Adoptions Boards. They are not issued for employment or any other purpose. They can however be issued when being used for the purposes of establishing, or registering, a business in another EU Member State.

Where to apply:-

* Persons resident in the Republic of Ireland - apply to your local Garda Station
    * Persons resident outside of Ireland - apply in writing (by post) to the Superintendent in charge of the District covering the area of your principal place of residence while living in the Republic of Ireland.

Details to be supplied:

Full name as on birth certificate (including maiden/married name if applicable)

Date and place of birth (or copy of birth certificate)

Current address

All addresses at which you resided in Republic of Ireland

Purpose (i.e. Embassy) for which Certificate is required

Stamped, self addressed envelope if applying to local Garda Station

* There is no fee for the issue of a Police Certificate
    * Issue of a Police Certificates can take up to 4 weeks depending on the particular application

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Thanks. Need to get my ass in gear and send this in!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Tristram

Apparently the Korean embassy doesn't issue the required letter :confused:

I'm not sure if this situation is funny or sad...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭murfie

watna wrote: »

I called the gardai in Shankill. If my dad goes down with my details they will give me a letter no problem. However, they will not do one for my partner. He lived and worked in Ireland for 3 years but because he is personally not applying for the visa, I am, they will not give him a letter. We both need letters stating we have no criminal record to get the visa.

On the Police checks the Garda have no clue, most of them dont know they offer this service and send you to the main headquarters in Tullamore. I was also sent away thinking after been told they didnt do it, i went back and told them they do!!
    I would imagine the local station that your partner lived near are required to do this check. If they persist to say they cant maybe they can send you a signed letter saying that. Not your fault they are not helping you with this and that would be sufficent for the visa process.

Advertisement