Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renovating at 1:30am.....what?!

Options
  • 13-06-2008 1:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭

Right, I live on the second floor of an apartment building in the IFSC. There is a busy shop on the ground floor which is currently being renovated while it's still open. So for the past few days we've been listening to drilling and hammering and it's been a complete pain, however, it has been stopping around 7:30pm so it's been bearable.

Anyway, this evening the hammering didn't stop fully. Every hour or so there's been burst of hammering for about 10 minutes. Around midnight it was just constant. To be honest part of me thought that it couldn't possibly be the shop because they surely wouldn't be allowed to do that at such a late hour when the premises are in an apartment block! I eventually reached the end of my rope at 1:30am and went out in the hallway to investigate. I went outside the front door and to my absolutel amazement, the lights are on in the shop, the front door is wide open and there's three men putting down flooring! Somebody please tell me that this can't be allowed!?

I asked them what on earth they were doing at 1:30am on a weekday and one fo them mumbled something at me and smirked at his mates. I told him if it didn't stop I'd be calling the guards as that kind of crap isn't on at such a late hour. He looked slightly panicked and mumbled somehting else and wandered off.

It seems to have stopped now but jesus fúcking christ!! Am I wrong here?

{edit} I've sent an email to the management company and have been trying to find something online about noise pollution, or the hours that this kind of work can be carried out between but haven't found anything concrete. Sorry but I'm furious. They're still down there and there's the odd bang of a hammer every now and then.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 647 ✭✭✭fintan

Its really common for shop fit-outs to be carried out overnight (minimises how long shop is closed for).

However, definitely worth calling the gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

fintan wrote: »
    Its really common for shop fit-outs to be carried out overnight (minimises how long shop is closed for).
    Maybe so but all works, residential or commericial when in a residential area have to start after 7am and finish at 10pm (I think, but that's the very latest). Also on a sat, 7am - 1pm.

I've lived beside two houses getting gutted and renovated on two different occasions and I found this out as kanga hammers waking you at 7am can be quite irritating.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Maybe so but all works, residential or commericial when in a residential area have to start after 7am and finish at 10pm (I think, but that's the very latest). Also on a sat, 7am - 1pm.
    Correct - that's the hours they worked when they were outfitting a pub below where I used to live. It was incredibly annoying being woken up on a Saturday to hammers and drills - went on for weeks. And then when the pub opened, the smoking area was directly below my window *grrr*

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Often, despite the fact that its an apartment complex, you may find that the area is not actually in fact zoned residential, and therefore may not be covered by environmental regulations governing noise pollution. This was highlighted lately in complaints to South Dublin County Council regarding Lucan Village, and Dublin City Council regarding the IFSC.

S.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Thanks for the replies folks. The works went on until 4am and I rang the guards around 3:10am. The guy in the station said that they need a permit to work this late and that he'd send 2 guards down to make sure they have a permit.
    He rang me back and said that they do have a permit but they were told to stop using their hammers and other loud equipment.

I'm just astounded that they got a permit when they are in a bloody aparmtment building! If it was over the weekend I could kind of let it go but during the week when people have to work the next day....*boggles*. I got no reply from the management company (shock horror).

They've been drilling since 6:30am. It sounds like its actually happening *in* my bedroom. :(

Edit: Thanks for that smccarrick. I really, really hope thats something that can be changed in the future. There were a lot of unhappy people around the building last night/this morning.

• Advertisement

Chinafoot wrote: »
    He rang me back and said that they do have a permit but they were told to stop using their hammers and other loud equipment.
    I'm sure the permit excludes the use of machinery which generates loud noise and restricts to labour. I'd be amazed if they got a permit to use a kanga or drills after 10pm
    If it was over the weekend I could kind of let it go but during the week when people have to work the next day....*boggles*. I got no reply from the management company (shock horror).
    In fairness, they probably weren't told anything about it and are most prob powerless to do anything about it now.

In fairness, they probably weren't told anything about it and are most prob powerless to do anything about it now.

In fairness, it would take them two minutes to acknowledge the email I sent. If anything it should give them a reason to open communication with the managers of the shop. A note in the letter box would have been much appreciated on this score. They can do it for the window cleaning but not for all night works that are going to keep people awake?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,278 ✭✭✭✭Victor

A word with the franchisee or the franchiser might be useful.

Chinafoot wrote: »
    In fairness, it would take them two minutes to acknowledge the email I sent. If anything it should give them a reason to open communication with the managers of the shop. A note in the letter box would have been much appreciated on this score. They can do it for the window cleaning but not for all night works that are going to keep people awake?
    As I said, and based on my previous experience in property management, the MC probably didn't know anything about it until you or some other resident contacted them. Commercial units and apartments being renovated at all hours of the day and night were the bane of my property management life and I found that if the holder of the unit had a permit they really didn't give a sh1t what I said to them. Your agent emailing you back is a separate issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

You poor thing, what a nightmare. Was subject to something similar last year with builders renovating a house accross from my apartment block. Horrific. Hopefully this link may be of some use to you OP.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/environment/environmental-protection/noise_regulations

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Miss Fluff wrote: »
    You poor thing, what a nightmare. Was subject to something similar last year with builders renovating a house accross from my apartment block. Horrific. Hopefully this link may be of some use to you OP.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/environment/environmental-protection/noise_regulations

The environmental noise regulations are only enforced in areas which are classified as "residential". The IFSC (and indeed many developments elsewhere in Dublin) are not actually classified as residential, despite the fact that they have literally thousands of apartments.

I was speaking to one of the managers today and I asked how much longer this would be going on for. He said that it was 3 weeks into the planned 8 weeks. 8 bloody weeks!! And it gets better...he said "I won't lie to you, realistically it's probably going to be longer." I also asked if there was going to more over-night work and he said he didn't know and then said "were they loud? They shouldn't have been". I told him that I could hear hammers going til 4am and he seemed quite surprised.

I'll crack up if I have to listen to this for another 5 weeks or more.

Advertisement