Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

examiners! New vs. Experienced

Options
  • 12-06-2008 5:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭

whose lap would you prefer to see your junior cert paper landing on? A correcter doing it for years and years, or someone correcting for the first or second time?
    What are the pros and cons of each i wonder, who would be more generous with the marks? Maybe an older examiner would be more confident and give marks more easily, or maybe a younger one would understand what its like to sit the leaving and junior cert more because they've done it more recently and be nicer to the students in the marking? What do you think? :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭john concannon

Smooth first line there boss.I'd prefer an older examiner becaue it would probably would be fairer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭tracker-man

Smooth first line there boss.

:D

Posted via Mobile Device

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭ch252

Old, but I was told most are young....

really? I would have thought most were older. Retired teachers even? Another point might be that young people would spend less time correcting the papers because they don't want to give up their summertime! Does that mean they would look through work speedily and give a lesser/greater mark. I'm not sure which i would prefer, younger or older!
    Posted via Mobile Device

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭ch252

I was told by my English teacher who would be around 24ish that it is all young people and to write your essay based on that. Thats just for English though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭conormurphy

Id prefer an older person because more than likely, theyd know exactly how to mark your paper and would try not to be too strict, theyd probably let all their strictness out in their earlier years. And whatever gobbo that said that young people would just rush because its summer is a dope, thats stupid talk. If they're correctin exams they do them for a set amount of time. They dont try to get em all done in a day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭TransititionMan

Yeh id probly prefer an older more experienced examiner 2 correct mine as theyll have a better concept on how to correct properly.
    Younger newer ones will be too eager to mke an impact and mark everything really harshly and down to the core whereas the older one will give marks if u get it within a certain bracket.

Id prefer an older person because more than likely, theyd know exactly how to mark your paper and would try not to be too strict, theyd probably let all their strictness out in their earlier years. And whatever gobbo that said that young people would just rush because its summer is a dope, thats stupid talk. If they're correctin exams they do them for a set amount of time. They dont try to get em all done in a day

Well... Knowing 2 people who do correct, this being their 3rd year... The summertime theory is from the horses mouth, so to speak.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,163 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It's not possible to 'rush through ' papers. They have to be corrected in groups by set deadlines agreed with the EAMs. Random 20, First 100, Second 100 etc.

If you charge ahead correcting, then you will in many cases have to redo them all if there is a change in the marking scheme and changes can happen as late as the 3rd 100.

The marking schemes are fairly tight and there is a great deal of double and triple checking to make sure a corrector, experienced or not is adhering to the guidelines, so in theory there shouldn't be much room for difference. The advantage an experienced corrector possibly has over an inexperienced one would be mainly when dealing with candidates with literacy or learning problems.

Well... Knowing 2 people who do correct, this being their 3rd year... The summertime theory is from the horses mouth, so to speak.

No offense, but I dont speak bog, my parents are from the country but i dont understand exactly whaty you mean?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Younger newer ones will be too eager to mke an impact and mark everything really harshly and down to the core whereas the older one will give marks if u get it within a certain bracket.

id say your ''impact'' would be not being allowed to correst again :) theres a marking scheme and your obliged to follow it, not room for creativeness

the reason the correctors are mainly younger, is thats its meant to be horrible to have to correct a couple hundred within the tight time frame. insanely dull work. you get about 3 grand (tax and what not deducted) so the money isnt even great, younger teachers would probably do it to supplement their wage as it increases a bit with seniority i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

Fad wrote: »
    id say your ''impact'' would be not being allowed to correst again :) theres a marking scheme and your obliged to follow it, not room for creativeness

the reason the correctors are mainly younger, is thats its meant to be horrible to have to correct a couple hundred within the tight time frame. insanely dull work. you get about 3 grand (tax and what not deducted) so the money isnt even great, younger teachers would probably do it to supplement their wage as it increases a bit with seniority i think.

Spot on. I'm correcting CSPE this year, I'm recently qualified. I don't know anyone over say 28 who bothers putting their name down for this as it is boring, badly paid work. I'm doing it purely to put on my CV as principals would like to see that prospective employees have experience of it.

sitstill thanks for your input. I know very well there are rules and regulations set out, what i mean is, for example, the 10 papers set out to correct in one day might be done more speedily by a young person than someone older.
    To conormurphy you obviously aren't very articulate, and certainly not of the highest literacy not to understand the phrase 'from the horses mouth'. I'll have you know its well respected english. From the horses mouth is a term used to describe accurate, first hand information. In bygone days a horse was a valuable commodity and there were a few ways of reliably assessing a horses age before buying one. Everybody was afraid of spending good money on an old horse with very little work left in it. One of the better ways of reassurance was to look at the teeth of the animal and find out how far they have worn, or how far its gums had receded, to determine the age of the horse. First hand inspection would reveal the truth. Thats how the phrase come about. Hope you found it interesting.
    No i don't have a chip on my shoulder, and i wouldn't like you to take umbrage at this post. If you need me to dumb it down for you, i'll gladly pm you. Thats pm for private message ;)

Oh, and i was never once at the bog, yep, never, only the minute few in the west of ireland live on a bog, just a percentage. I can pm you on the population make up here too, if you so wish.

sitstill thanks for your input. I know very well there are rules and regulations set out, what i mean is, for example, the 10 papers set out to correct in one day might be done more speedily by a young person than someone older.
    To conormurphy you obviously aren't very articulate, and certainly not of the highest literacy not to understand the phrase 'from the horses mouth'. I'll have you know its well respected english. From the horses mouth is a term used to describe accurate, first hand information. In bygone days a horse was a valuable commodity and there were a few ways of reliably assessing a horses age before buying one. Everybody was afraid of spending good money on an old horse with very little work left in it. One of the better ways of reassurance was to look at the teeth of the animal and find out how far they have worn, or how far its gums had receded, to determine the age of the horse. First hand inspection would reveal the truth. Thats how the phrase come about. Hope you found it interesting.
    No i don't have a chip on my shoulder, and i wouldn't like you to take umbrage at this post. If you need me to dumb it down for you, i'll gladly pm you. Thats pm for private message ;)

Oh, and i was never once at the bog, yep, never, only the minute few in the west of ireland live on a bog, just a percentage. I can pm you on the population make up here too, if you so wish.

Ah you talk like this lad in my year he a bitch mad nigga, im pretty smart though "so to speak" in fact I msot likely A'd english and a'd it in the mocks too, so **** yo crew ma bitch nigga

good for you! I'm glad we understand each other now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Ah you talk like this lad in my year he a bitch mad nigga, im pretty smart though "so to speak" in fact I msot likely A'd english and a'd it in the mocks too, so **** yo crew ma bitch nigga

Holy Crap you're annoying.

But you're also banned, so now you can stop hanging around here and go menace South Central.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

Piste wrote: »
    Holy Crap you're annoying.

But you're also banned, so now you can stop hanging around here and go menace South Central.

Lovin' it!!! :)

Advertisement