Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pitch and Putt in Portarlington/ Laois area.

• 12-06-2008 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone. I'm Kingdom and I'm living in Portarlington.
    I'm a member of a pitch and putt club in Tullamore.

Is there anyone living in the area who has an interest in setting up a club or society in the area. Maybe you have played the game as a youngster or play currently, or even have an interest in playing the game in future?

I am aware that there was a society for a while in the East end Hotel that played games in the Curragh.

I am looking to get any like minded people, men women, boys girls, families preferably to form a club with the aim of getting a course to the area.
    It is a superb game to take up, socially or competitively, its relatively inexpensive and it isn't time consuming. another aspect is that it is a great community builder.

If you have never heard of pitch and putt, or would like to know more the official PPUI (Pitch and Putt Union of Ireland) website (www.ppui.ie) gives some info on the history of the game.

If you are interested, have any advice, or know anyone who can offer anything or may be interested nudge them in this direction or feel free to send me a PM.

Many thanks

Kingdom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Ruby-J

i love pitch and putt! its great craic and its almost tradition when i go abroad with the other half to have a mini tournament! we have played on some fabulous courses! with mini waterfalls and slides and villages! its a great game. id love if we had a course nearby! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Kingdom

Ruby-J wrote: »
    i love pitch and putt! its great craic and its almost tradition when i go abroad with the other half to have a mini tournament! we have played on some fabulous courses! with mini waterfalls and slides and villages! its a great game. id love if we had a course nearby! :D

There's always one! I think thats crazy golf you're on about. ;)

I'm being serious though, I'll be putting an ad into the express and the voice to see if there is any interest. I'm sick of hearing how there's nothing new in Portarlington and how the town is falling apart. Time to put up or shut up I say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Ruby-J

oh yeh...so it is! ive played pitch and putt too. its like golf only on a smaller course. thats fun too! :D

Ruby-J wrote: »
    oh yeh...so it is! ive played pitch and putt too. its like golf only on a smaller course. thats fun too! :D

Good good, I see you folks are having drinks tomorrow, you might mention it to the others boozing, just to see if anyone is interested?

K

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭ports best

i would be interested kingdom, i defo think it would be a good idea for portarlington

Good stuff Ports Best. I emailed a councillor yesterday and while he is busy today with tallying, he was very positive in his response, and is willing to meet up next week.

As I said before my head may be up in the clouds with an idea like this but if I don't see if the support is there then there is no hope for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭ports best

well look isnt anything worth a shot kingdom and if you do start getting somewhere you will get more people on board then,

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

I would also be interested. I've played before and am rubbish but it's great fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Curvy Vixen

I've never played but you can count me in!

My hubby was part of the East End Hotel crowd ~ a guy called Brian used to arrange it ~ he had a pretty good crowd going. If you want his contact details let me know.

You can count hubby in too so that's two from us!

Kikel and Curvy Vixen thanks for the support. I'm going to keep bumping this thread once a week just to keep it fresh for any random posters.

I'e decided to make a real push to see if this dream of mine can become a reality. I'll be putting posters around the shops in town and in the station too. I'll give it a couple of weeks and see if there's been much of a response and if there has I'll see if a meeting could be arranged or something.

I am meeting a councillor this week to discuss ideas about getting a site or establishing a course, and he seemed eager too so hopefully thats a good sign.

K

I've never played but you can count me in!

My hubby was part of the East End Hotel crowd ~ a guy called Brian used to arrange it ~ he had a pretty good crowd going. If you want his contact details let me know.

You can count hubby in too so that's two from us!

CV
    I know there was a big crowd in that group but do you have any idea why it ceased? I know they played in McDonagh in the Curragh for a while, which is a lot of travelling for what is supposed to be a sociable club.

I think it might be no harm to get the lads details off you please!

Much appreciated the info is~!

K

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭port

'Portarlington Pitch n Putt Club' ...I think its a great idea.Perhaps if you ask Portarlington Town Forum to include this idea on its agenda for its meeting,June 19th in East End Hotel,it may get support.
    At the very least it will get a public airing and you might get some ideas as how to proceed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Curvy Vixen

Kingdom wrote: »
    CV
    I know there was a big crowd in that group but do you have any idea why it ceased? I know they played in McDonagh in the Curragh for a while, which is a lot of travelling for what is supposed to be a sociable club.

I think it might be no harm to get the lads details off you please!

Much appreciated the info is~!

K

As far as I remember it was exactly because of that ~ they had been playing just up the road (in Bracknagh maybe but could be wrong there!??) and then that course closed down so the nearest they could get was Kildare. It turned into a bit of a chore for most people then and it started to drop off a bit. Not sure if Brian then stopped being the driving force behind it or if it stopped driving Brian tbh!

Thats terrible but its great to know, as I can put it forward to anyone I canvass on the subject.
    Yes it would have been Bracknagh they were playing in for a while. Tullamore would have been just as handy as Kildare.

Thanks again.

port wrote: »
    'Portarlington Pitch n Putt Club' ...I think its a great idea.Perhaps if you ask Portarlington Town Forum to include this idea on its agenda for its meeting,June 19th in East End Hotel,it may get support.
    At the very least it will get a public airing and you might get some ideas as how to proceed.

Thanks Port. I think we got a note in the letter box yday about a meeting this week with reference to ourestate and its upkeep.

I'm bumping this thread. I've decided to push on and see if there's enough interest in the town and surrounding areas to make this practical and possible.

I have had a flyer put in the window of Cúl le Cheile and more will be going around the town over the weekend.

I spoke briefly with one of the girls in the office of Cúl le cheile to see if they could be of any assistance and what I heard was rather encouraging.

If anyone is interested take a look at http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=59163823&postcount=5 and see what you think.
    You can email myself Paulkingdom@Gmail.com
    Why not have a look at www.ppui.ie or www.pitchandputtforum.com for further info.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

Fair play Kingdom. The town needs more people like yourself.

Ya got my support.

K

kikel wrote: »
    Fair play Kingdom. The town needs more people like yourself.

Ya got my support.

K

We'll see what happens first.

Pog/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 rambo.

did you set up a pitch&putt club in portarlington

• Registered Users Posts: 4,821 ✭✭✭budhabob

Hey kingdom, i'm new to the area, but would be interested in how this goes, only played once or twice, but would reckon it would be a good laugh to get involved in. so you can count me in, and the girlfriend too.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Silent Partner

I think a Pitch & Putt course would be a great addition to the area. Laois needs more activities like this in it.

Alas with all the support in the world, the one thing it's going to take to build a course is money.

Are you thinking along the lines of getting members and using their contributions along with some fund raising to build a course? How much does a course cost to build?

I would LOVE to see this idea go ahead. It'd be a wonderful addition to the county.