Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

External Hard Drive Question

Options
  • 12-06-2008 2:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I got an external hard drive (actually two - one ide and one sata) and the case/power supply broke on it. So I'm looking to replace the casing. However they used be socket powered (standard plug) - Question is if I get a new usb case would it be enough to power the drives? - for simplicity, i.e. not having to plug it in, it would be easier... Or would I have to get a socket powered one to replace it?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭h8red

Wouldn't think USB would be able to provide enuff power if they are 3.5" drives.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

h8red wrote: »
    Wouldn't think USB would be able to provide enuff power if they are 3.5" drives.

that's what i thought. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,986 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

As it happens I just bought this external enclosure last week and its pretty handy for IDE and SATA. It does come with a bulky plug though.

Advertisement