Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer games development!

Options
  • 12-06-2008 2:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

hey im doing my lc now and still dont know what to do. im thinking of maybe doing computer games development or whatever its called after my year out next year but im not sure.

anyone know what its like?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭armour87

A few lads in my I.T done it who where in the same classes as myself. Seems to be an awful lot of maths and programming involved, but the course itself isn't overly difficult.

This was in Letterkenny so I don't know what It would be like in Carlow but I'd say it's similar as they're both reatlively new courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭RealistSpy

Well if you doing higher level maths sure go for it :) You will also be learning high level programming language C# :) but the question is do you really what a job programming games. Have you looked into software development or systems management?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭RedXIV

powpeach wrote: »
    hey im doing my lc now and still dont know what to do. im thinking of maybe doing computer games development or whatever its called after my year out next year but im not sure.

anyone know what its like?

Howya!

just finished the 3rd year of it, and to be blunt, this is not a course for the unsure. we started with 60, we have 10 left.

Higher level maths is definitely a boost BUT not essential, we have guys still in the course that did ordinary level but they are working hard at it.

As said above, make sure you realise that this course isn't PLAYING games, it's MAKING them. this means alot of code. and code isn't that easy, especially in a course like this where you are being taught the latest inovative techniques so you will be industrial standard when you leave college.

There's a thread in this forum already about this course about a year old so if you come back, read that one, just change the parameters for viewing the threads here to last year maybe and they'll pop up.

Any questions, feel free to ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,890 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Hey Im from the Games Course in Carlow.

The course involves a lot of advanced Math (think Quaternions), Mechanical Physics, etc.

You can find some of the notes for the 3D graphics portion of the course right here actually: www.kenpower.com

You will also want to be somewhat competent at programming. Obviously you arent expected to know anything going in, but its a constantly used skill so youd want to be sure youre going to enjoy that. Programming is a lot to do with Step-Logic and Syntax.
    The simplest way for you to introduce yourself to the concept would be to take a look at Alice, a programming language designed with the pure function of introducing someone to the concept of programming(!) but keep in mind your actual programming course will not be as pretty as Alice: it will be very text-based.

Games programming is perceivably the boring end of the spectrum, sure, but its also one of the best paid positions; making more money than the actual Artists and Designers a lot of the time. http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=186885

Anyway if you have more questions im happy to answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 powpeach

thanks everyone,
    doesnt sound fully as interesting as i thought it would be... still have a year to think about it. but at least now i know what it entails!
    :):):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,890 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

there are better ways to get into the design aspect of the industry if thats what you're after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 royalt

People think that game developing is only fun and play, but it demands lots of math and logic knowledge, so don't be surprised...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Necrobump: Rise of the Dead (Threads)

Advertisement