Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help needed with internet connection

Options
  • 12-06-2008 1:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭

my aunt is having hassle with her internet connection, when the pc is booted up the internet connection(ntl) is working fine, IE7 and firefox, after maybe 10 minutes or so none of the browsers will find a web page anymore, i ran a virus scan avg free and it found 5 infections and removed them.
    i have also set spybot to run and clear out that kinda stuff, i am guessing that it is a pc problem and not a broadband connection problem as the connection is working fine when i reboot the computer but goes again after a few minutes, she has recently upgraded to the 6mb package through ntl if that is of any relevance.

not wireless btw

any ideas,

cheers.

dave.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭keen

daftdave wrote: »
    my aunt is having hassle with her internet connection, when the pc is booted up the internet connection(ntl) is working fine, IE7 and firefox, after maybe 10 minutes or so none of the browsers will find a web page anymore, i ran a virus scan avg free and it found 5 infections and removed them.
    i have also set spybot to run and clear out that kinda stuff, i am guessing that it is a pc problem and not a broadband connection problem as the connection is working fine when i reboot the computer but goes again after a few minutes, she has recently upgraded to the 6mb package through ntl if that is of any relevance.

not wireless btw

any ideas,

cheers.

dave.

hmmm.

It could be that your PC is still infected and the malware is causing the issue, but I've seen NTL connections time out after a while as you describe, it was a problem with NTLs wiring coming into the house and they fixed it.

Could you get a lend of laptop off someone that you know isn't infected or having any similar issues and see if it times out on your aunts connection?

If you narrow it down and find it's malware casuing the problem then THIS forum would be more help to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭daftdave

ok bud, i will try that in the morning and report back, cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 28,119 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Dave it still sounds like a virus is hidden in there somewhere......try the op idea first if it dosen't work

Uninstall all anti virus software off the pc...

Download windows live one care http://onecare.live.com/site/en-ie/default.htm

Update with all the microsoft updates...

Run One care Tune Up & Virus Scan...

Works 10 times out of 10 for me when fixing anyones pc..

That should solve your problem.....one care is free for 3mts if it dosen't work just uninstall and go back to avg but I bet it does work....

will try that too after the first suggestion drunkm, thanks for that, i might try that on my own system as well just to if it comes back with anything !

cheers man.

i cant try your option drunken as the internet connection drops before all the files had time to download, and they cant be downloaded and transferred from another pc, i think im just gonna reload the operating system as i have wasted a lot of time trying to sort it and tbh they dont use the pc for anything other than web browsing so thay stand to loose nothing.

thanks for all help guys, frustration is not the word !!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭keen

daftdave wrote: »
    i cant try your option drunken as the internet connection drops before all the files had time to download, and they cant be downloaded and transferred from another pc, i think im just gonna reload the operating system as i have wasted a lot of time trying to sort it and tbh they dont use the pc for anything other than web browsing so thay stand to loose nothing.

thanks for all help guys, frustration is not the word !!!!!

Don't forget to back up drivers, here's a link to a handy program that will back them all up for you, 15 day free trial.

http://www.driver-soft.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭muggyog

Is this your problem?

muggyog wrote: »
    Is this your problem?

i dont think so, i have read the details and they dont add up to what im dealing with, i dont get any of the errors that are detailed and it does not slow the system to a crawl, everything works as it should except the internet connection, i am calling back out tomorrow afternoon, i did a system restore to 3 weeks ago , around when the symptoms started, l did not have time to hang around and see the results as i had to go to work so i should know more tomorrow,
    i will report back again tomorrow, thanks again lads for the help, !

dave.

keen wrote: »
    Don't forget to back up drivers, here's a link to a handy program that will back them all up for you, 15 day free trial.

http://www.driver-soft.com/

will do this too if the system restore does not work, thanks again !

btw i have tested the connection with a laptop and it worked fine for maybe 30 minutes so it is definately a pc problem and not an ntl problem " for once" !!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭jtiernan

Disable your startup icons and make sure the issue is not caused by third party s/w

Download and try hijackthis

• Registered Users Posts: 81,890 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

(At this stage in the troubleshooting process, it is now safe to ask your Aunt for cookies)

jtiernan wrote: »

Disable your startup icons and make sure the issue is not caused by third party s/w

Download and try hijackthis

i unstalled some programs that can be replaced, everything seems to be running ok for the time being, i also downloaded and ran hijackthis, here is the log, this stuff means nothing to me so maybe somebody could give it a glance over and see if there is anything unusual in the log, if it goes again i am gonna reload the operating system, thanks for you time guys,

dave.
    Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
    Scan saved at 2:56:37 PM, on 6/17/2008
    Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)
    Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
    I:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    I:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    I:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    I:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    I:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    I:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    I:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    I:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
    I:\Program Files\Lexmark 2400 Series\lxcrmon.exe
    I:\Program Files\Lexmark 2400 Series\ezprint.exe
    I:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
    I:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
    I:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
    I:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgtray.exe
    I:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgwdsvc.exe
    I:\Program Files\Creative\MediaSource\Detector\CTDetect.exe
    I:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe
    I:\WINDOWS\system32\CTsvcCDA.EXE
    I:\WINDOWS\system32\slserv.exe
    I:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    I:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    I:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WLLoginProxy.exe
    I:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgrsx.exe
    I:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgemc.exe
    I:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
    I:\WINDOWS\System32\lxcrcoms.exe
    I:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
    I:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.yahoo.com/
    R3 - URLSearchHook: Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - I:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn\yt.dll
    O2 - BHO: Yahoo! Toolbar Helper - {02478D38-C3F9-4EFB-9B51-7695ECA05670} - I:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn\yt.dll
    O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - I:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll (file missing)
    O2 - BHO: Lexmark Toolbar - {1017A80C-6F09-4548-A84D-EDD6AC9525F0} - I:\Program Files\Lexmark Toolbar\toolband.dll
    O2 - BHO: WormRadar.com IESiteBlocker.NavFilter - {3CA2F312-6F6E-4B53-A66E-4E65E497C8C0} - I:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\avgssie.dll
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {7E853D72-626A-48EC-A868-BA8D5E23E045} - (no file)
    O2 - BHO: Windows Live Sign-in Helper - {9030D464-4C02-4ABF-8ECC-5164760863C6} - I:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WindowsLiveLogin.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: Lexmark Toolbar - {1017A80C-6F09-4548-A84D-EDD6AC9525F0} - I:\Program Files\Lexmark Toolbar\toolband.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - I:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn\yt.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [lxcrmon.exe] "I:\Program Files\Lexmark 2400 Series\lxcrmon.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [EzPrint] "I:\Program Files\Lexmark 2400 Series\ezprint.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [FaxCenterServer] "I:\Program Files\Lexmark Fax Solutions\fm3032.exe" /s
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LXCRCATS] rundll32 I:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\LXCRtime.dll,_RunDLLEntry@16
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Reader Speed Launcher] "I:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 8.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "I:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "I:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG8_TRAY] I:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgtray.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Creative Detector] "I:\Program Files\Creative\MediaSource\Detector\CTDetect.exe" /R
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MsnMsgr] "I:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe" /background
    O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - I:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - I:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O16 - DPF: {0A5FD7C5-A45C-49FC-ADB5-9952547D5715} (Creative Software AutoUpdate) - http://www.creative.com/su/ocx/15026/CTSUEng.cab
    O16 - DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} (Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool) - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=39204
    O16 - DPF: {30528230-99f7-4bb4-88d8-fa1d4f56a2ab} (YInstStarter Class) - I:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common\yinsthelper.dll
    O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6/V5Controls/en/x86/client/wuweb_site.cab?1168973870228
    O16 - DPF: {F6ACF75C-C32C-447B-9BEF-46B766368D29} (Creative Software AutoUpdate Support Package) - http://www.creative.com/su/ocx/15029/CTPID.cab
    O18 - Protocol: linkscanner - {F274614C-63F8-47D5-A4D1-FBDDE494F8D1} - I:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\avgpp.dll
    O20 - AppInit_DLLs: avgrsstx.dll
    O23 - Service: Apple Mobile Device - Apple, Inc. - I:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
    O23 - Service: AVG8 E-mail Scanner (avg8emc) - AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. - I:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgemc.exe
    O23 - Service: AVG8 WatchDog (avg8wd) - AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. - I:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgwdsvc.exe
    O23 - Service: Creative Service for CDROM Access - Creative Technology Ltd - I:\WINDOWS\system32\CTsvcCDA.EXE
    O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Inc. - I:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
    O23 - Service: lxcr_device - - I:\WINDOWS\System32\lxcrcoms.exe
    O23 - Service: SmartLinkService (SLService) - Smart Link - I:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\slserv.exe
    O24 - Desktop Component 0: (no name) - https://reg.racingpost.co.uk/images/furniture/dots_2px.gif

--
    End of file - 5472 bytes

Advertisement