Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Use xe.com in excel spreadsheet?

Options
  • 12-06-2008 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭

Not really sure where to put this but figured economists might have a use for it so thought I'd ask here.

Is there a way to form a link in a spreadsheet so that you can have instantaneous currency conversion? I'll try to explain better with a simple example:

Cell A1 has price in €
    Cell B1 has this price in USD

Cell B1 is set up in such a way that it changes with changing exchange rates.

Or is this totally useless?

Comments

Yes.

Create a column with the values of Currency A in Column A, start at cell 1.

Create a cell with the exchange rate for Currency B in term of Currency A in the first Cell in column B.

Create a second column (Column C) which has [ =sum(Ai*$B$1) ] in each cell, where i is cell number

Or, tell me the currencies and I will create an example.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

No what I mean is that you don't have to specify the exchange rate. Rather, it is imported from, say xe.com so it stays automatically updated.

Yes, dunno exactly but I have seen it done and I doubt its free.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

You trying to a live version based on current market rates?

I was thinking about doing something similar as an app for my N95

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

I thought you could use a web query in Excel to do this, but they might not allow this any more

But maybe this could help

http://software.techrepublic.com.com/abstract.aspx?docid=203246

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭gerry87

Advertisement