Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sad :(

Options
  • 12-06-2008 11:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭

Me again, I disappear for months then show up with 3 threads in as many days! Sorry :o

Dont know if this should be in PI or here. :p Basicially, boxer is gone to a rescue and a site I tend to stalk have an appeal for foster homes for pups. We were thinking of getting a pup, so I thought - great, I can foster, help out a bit AND get to know my potential new pup in the process. I rang my OH who said he "wouldn't be into it". Ok so I know it's not fair to bring a dog into the house if he doesn't want it. But I so badly want to help by fostering, and apparently our conversation about getting a dog has been forgotten. I'm so angry :mad:. So the people here involved in rescue, how did you get you OH's to support you?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Boxer is gone to a rescue? What does that mean, please?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

My other half - likes animals, but not as animal-crazy as I am - approved of me fostering a cat not so long ago as the poor guy was living in a cage in a vets basically! It went really well - although there were 'rules' i.e he gets the play time, and I get the poo-cleaning jobs!

We're looking at fostering a few kittens now - again, I'll be on poo duty and he gets to play with the ball of string. :) And they're not allowed upstairs or in our bed (boo!)

It's a great comprimise since it's not practical for us to have full time pets - and helps an animal in need most importantly!

Why does your hubbie not want pets around? If you set some 'ground rules' like I've done, it might help?

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

luckat wrote: »
    Boxer is gone to a rescue? What does that mean, please?

stray boxer found by helena.ryan

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Glowing wrote: »
    although there were 'rules' i.e he gets the play time, and I get the poo-cleaning jobs!

We're looking at fostering a few kittens now - again, I'll be on poo duty and he gets to play with the ball of string. :) And they're not allowed upstairs or in our bed (boo!)
    HEHE well I can't complain too much I suppose, I do have pet cats, 2 of them, both fab little creatures. Although they found me before the OH came along so he didn't have any choice :D We have rules too, not allowed in the bedroom (unless he's not there) not allowed in the sitting room (unless he's not there). Fortunately I hardly ever have poo cleaning to do, unless we have a foster in the house. The cats prefer to look to go outside. He pretends to hate them, but I know he doesn't. :)
    Glowing wrote: »
    It's a great comprimise since it's not practical for us to have full time pets - and helps an animal in need most importantly!

Why does your fiance not want pets around? If you set some 'ground rules' like I've done, it might help?
    He thinks that they are "hassle". I'm half thinking of starting to act broody perhaps then he'll realise there's worse things I could be asking for :D (totally joking)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Very well done on the boxer.

I feel for your other half; two cats is plenty! If you limit the animals you might be able to train him to love them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Ah I know you're right, I'm just disappointed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

Personally I would tell him to get stuffed and do what I liked :D It's your home as well so you should be able to have whatever pets you like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭XxlauraxX

kerrysgold wrote: »
    Personally I would tell him to get stuffed and do what I liked :D It's your home as well so you should be able to have whatever pets you like.

completely agree its your home too:):) do what you like:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

In fairness he lives there too and really if he's dead against it not just trying to put you off to see what happens then it might case tension esp. as you will be more tied to the house and it may effect your relationship.
    However there are tons of other ways you can help there's always helping out with transport or if you live near a rescue popping over to help now and then. Transport is just as vital in rescue as fostering so if taking in a foster is a no no then this could be an alternative, and something the OH can't object to and if he does well ok then you could tell him where to go.

If you think you can win him over and you just need another plan then bring on the tears, men hate when women cry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Ruby-J

helena,

i have ALWAYS wanted a dog of my own and my OH grew up with cats. there were always cats in his house as his parents loved them.

So when we moved in together i was like a broken record hounding him about getting a dog and he kept coming back with the same responses, "too much hassle, a huge responsibility etc". and it was by sheer fluke we came across our pup, we went to see her just to "have a look" so that he could see how much mess pups are from the place we got her from.

and now i swear he loves the dog more then me!!!

imho, its like having children, at first its like...i cant cope, how am i supposed to take on the responsibility. then when it arrives everyones attitude changes and it brings so much happiness to everyone.

maybe do what i did, just go and have a look at some pups?

• Advertisement
Advertisement