Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Growing Extra Teeth!!

Options
  • 12-06-2008 11:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

I've never posted here before but I'm at my wits end.

First of all i've never had anything done to my teeth not even a filling, so i'm freaking out a little. I noticed a lump on my gum and went to dentist. They told me i was very unusal (just what you want to hear!) and I am growing an extra wisdom tooth - I think they called it a forth molar. They tried to take an x-ray of the tooth, but all attempts didn't work. So I was sent on my merry way, to go out and get a panoramic mouth x-ray to find out if i'm growing a full set of extras!!

The fact that I was growing extra teeth stunned me a little and by the time I came back to reality I caught the end of her sentence... which was "you need to go to the hospital to get this done, either the Mater or Blackrock Clinic". Seeing as I have never had anything done before I feel a bit lost in all of this. Do I just go up to Dublin and knock on the door of the hospital and ask for a x-ray, cheque book in hand??

I do actually have an appointment at a Dentists in England in mid July for this x-ray. But seeing at this tooth is in early gowth stages am I better off getting something done immediately? Can you inject something into it to get rid of it??

Any help whatsoever would be really apprieciated. I can't find any information anywhere about actually growing extra wisdom teeth...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭h8red

Is your dentist completely usless? He should have given you a lot more information than he did. I don't know about the procedure in the hospital TBH.

Don't panic. There is no major rush to get this done. Unfortunately there is no injection that will get rid of it.

Read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wisdom_teeth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Downey Penguin

Thanks for the reply and the link.

I can't entirely blame the Dentist... You see, having had nothing done before, and hearing plenty of horror stories from the age of 10... I said to the Dentist that it wasn't causing any pain and, rather naively, that i'd like to keep it. He smiled at me. I assumed his smile was becuase he thought I was kinda sweet, wanting to keep my extra tooth.

I now know, it i was a knowing smile, and that he knew it wouldn't be long before he would be seeing me again.

So is the upshot this... It has to get worse before it can get better? As in, I have to wait til it grows enough to be removed? Its just a little sore growing as its growing in between to existing Molars and pushing them apart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Fourth or fifth molars are not common but not totally unusual, more common in perople of African origin. If is not causing problems then you probably dont need to do anything. Just one of those strange genetic things. Lots of people (60%) are missing one of more wisdom teeth congenitally. Dont worry, get the xray to see is anything need to be done, and dont be to worried is more common than you would think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Chunky Monkey

I now know, it i was a knowing smile, and that he knew it wouldn't be long before he would be seeing me again.

Was his 'knowing' smile a knowing that he was gonna get another sixty quid or whatever it is now?

And 'hey I've got thirty three teeth'...sounds like a great chat up line :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Downey Penguin

Thanks for the re-assurance folks... Much appreciated.

I think I'll wait till my x-ray in the UK then.

• Advertisement
Advertisement