Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL 12mb broadband, expected wireless speeds?

Options
  • 12-06-2008 11:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭

As in the title I've recently gotten the 12mb broadband from NTL. The PC I'm using is picking it up wirelessly, and that's really the only option, I'll never be able to connect via ethernet. I have a Belkin wireless card picking up the signal, which should be able to pick up 54mb (so more than enough for the connection). However, the little icon in the system tray is telling me the speed tends to jump around between 1mb, 2mb, 5.5mb and 11mb, and never really goes above that. The signal strength is virtually always "excellent" too. I initially thought a problem might be occuring due to the PC being upstairs in a corner at the back of the house and the router being downstairs in a corner at the front of the house but then I'm getting a strong signal. Is the speed just reduced by virtue of being wireless? Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

What speed to you get when you do a speedtest? Have you checked the speed you are getting with connected by ethernet? Say with a borrowed laptop? You will never the full claimed speed ie the 54 in this case - with any wireless set up but that should not matter in this case. You will always lose a certain amount of speed using wireless but it will depend on the individual circumstances equipment used etc - what router are you using?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,197 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

barnesd wrote: »
    As in the title I've recently gotten the 12mb broadband from NTL. The PC I'm using is picking it up wirelessly, and that's really the only option, I'll never be able to connect via ethernet. I have a Belkin wireless card picking up the signal, which should be able to pick up 54mb (so more than enough for the connection). However, the little icon in the system tray is telling me the speed tends to jump around between 1mb, 2mb, 5.5mb and 11mb, and never really goes above that. The signal strength is virtually always "excellent" too. I initially thought a problem might be occuring due to the PC being upstairs in a corner at the back of the house and the router being downstairs in a corner at the front of the house but then I'm getting a strong signal. Is the speed just reduced by virtue of being wireless? Thanks.

Are sure it's 802.11G you have and not B?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭barnesd

The card definitely is G and in the wireless settings for the router it says "G and B", should I change that to G only?

I just did the speedtest and the speed was ~7200kbps download speed, which is alright I guess. The router is a Netgear DG834. I'll connect with a laptop via ethernet and see what happens so. Thanks for the help.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,197 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

barnesd wrote: »
    The card definitely is G and in the wireless settings for the router it says "G and B", should I change that to G only?

I just did the speedtest and the speed was ~7200kbps download speed, which is alright I guess. The router is a Netgear DG834. I'll connect with a laptop via ethernet and see what happens so. Thanks for the help.

Are you in a densely built up area? Other wireless networks may be on the same channel. Change the channel in the router and see if there's an improvement.

Advertisement