Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The gaf - youth centre

Options
  • 12-06-2008 10:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭

Hi there!

Does anyone know anything about the above? I am thinking of volunteering there but want to know if anyone has any expieriences of it...?

thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

It's a underage cafe on Eglinton street. What do you need to know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭kittensoft1984

What they do?

Who runs it?

that sort of thing

• Registered Users Posts: 10,208 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Why bother?

Anytime I pass it there's just depressed looking EMO's standing outside smokin fags... find something better to do with your spare time tbh like volunteering for meals on wheels for old people... I'd love to do that, slip some mushies into their food :D:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Sounds like the set of Home & Away.

i need expierience in different types of social settings for a social care course i plan to do....

like working with the youth, disabled, old people etc!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,208 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

i need expierience in different types of social settings for a social care course i plan to do....

like working with the youth, disabled, old people etc!

Fair enough, but I still wouldn't go working in a place like that cafe, all you'd be doing there is serving coffee/cleaning up - hardly 'experience' for social care. Why not contact one of the organisations around Galway that take care of mentally/physicially disabled kids - I volunteered for 6 months in TY in school, bringing the kids swimming once a week. Sorry I can't remember the name of the place, but Google will return plenty of hits

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bass Cadet

Sherifu wrote: »
    Sounds like the set of Home & Away.

Jaysus...imagine, the sound of flip-flops smacking off the tiled floors and slowing taking away your will to live :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Hey kittensoft..Youre best bet is to straight in and speak to the staff,i think debbie used to be in charge and may still be..or check out volunteergalway.ie and you will see they have vacancies. It is a hse run system as far as im aware. there is always plenty on,so worth a shot. altho i know their vetting procedures are strict which is fair enough and the building isnt wheelchair or disabilty friendly which drives me nuts considering it was meant to bring young people from all walls of life together in a healthy environment. i notice you said Youre thinking of doing a social care course..would that be in the uni by any chance? i did it last year so can tell you what it was like.

Hi Lady.

Yeah its with NUIG.

Its their part time one....sorry i would PM you but my PM's are not working on my work PC!!!

what one did you do?

I did that part time one,its like one eve a month and one weekend..it was grand,most ppl had backgrounds in social care but a few didnt..looked at health promotion, redefining health and wellbeing,basic anatomy and then the work placement. i know they are adding a law module this year. i chose not to progress to the diploma tho as i was using it as a stepping stone to a masters i subsequently got. classes are small.depending on the tutor you get you could have a walk in the park with the course.our group did:-D have to say it isnt worth the 1710 but there isnt any other recognised course around..

• Advertisement

hm....

the one I am thinking of doing is one where you attend 1 workshop a month and do the rest at home along with work placements....

hmmm is it a lady called yvonne forde you gotta contact? they called the classes workshops more like tea be a chat and a flick thru the handbook.. is it for a cert or diploma or what?

its a 4 yr degree course. Yeah thats her

Im going into the gaf on monday to talk to the woman who runs it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I'm sort of youthful and alot of people often call me retarded if you want some experience you could drop by my place and look after me a few hours a week. I like my tea strong and my carers naked!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Fair enough, but I still wouldn't go working in a place like that cafe, all you'd be doing there is serving coffee/cleaning up - hardly 'experience' for social care. Why not contact one of the organisations around Galway that take care of mentally/physicially disabled kids - I volunteered for 6 months in TY in school, bringing the kids swimming once a week. Sorry I can't remember the name of the place, but Google will return plenty of hits

They do lots of things actually. They run various clubs and gigs (I personally got big into photography through one of their thingies), and offer lots of help for depressed people etc etc. Not to mention it's been essentially a home for a certain group of Galway's youth for years (once called moshers, now apparently emos). It's also served as a starting off point for young bands - Bobo and Captain Spaulding both started off doing gaf gigs..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

Fobia wrote: »
    Bobo and Captain Spaulding both started off doing gaf gigs..

who?

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭chris_oc

didnt read the previous post so i dont know if this was already mentioned but have you tried talking to anyone in "youth reach"?(near the claddagh)
    I could imagine that it'd probably be a bit more hands on social work rather than wiping crumbs of tables with a cloth...;)
    and if they dont have anything to offer well then at least you're talking to the right people who could probably give you some helpful advice and point you in the right direction at least :)
    g'luck with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 soccerchick

Hi,
    There is a website for volunteering in galway, and then have an office down from Mill Street Garda Station. Sorry but I don't know the address. Also there is big brother big sister programme, which is a mentoring programme that is run to match up an adult with a youth from a disadvantaged background based on personality and interests. You will be able to get loads of volunteering through there. Best of Luck

Advertisement