Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell shipping with vista SP1 preinstalled on desktops

Options
  • 12-06-2008 12:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭

I hope this is in the right forum

I note Dell.ie advertise they ship SP1 preinstalled on the Vostro range of desktops, but does anyone know if SP1 will ship preinstalled on other models such as the XPS and others?

Am interested in the XPS but would like to have SP1 preinstalled rather than installing it myself each time I reinstall windows.

I am wondering if anyone that has purchased an XPS or Inspiron lately can tell me if it came with sp1 preloaded, Dell don't seem to be able to tell me!

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I imagine it would as I can see no reason why they would only ship it on the vostro range.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭IH77

I imagine it would as I can see no reason why they would only ship it on the vostro range.

Yes that's what I thought, but when you look on dell.ie under the Vostro range it specifically states Windows Vista Service Pack 1 as the operating system.

But under XPS and other models it just says Vista with no mention of SP1. Which I thought was strange given SP1 preinstalled would be a selling point.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

It's specifically mentioned on all the business machines, incl. the Vostro, to make businessess aware of it. Most businesses were holding off using Vista until SP1 was released.
    It seems to be available accross the board though. I got 6 Inspiron desktops last week and they all came with SP1 preinstalled and the Vista home premium DVD incl SP1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭IH77

kaizersoze, can I ask did you order the machines online or over the phone?

When I rang Dell yesterday they said they could offer my SP1 if I ordered over the phone!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

IH77 wrote: »
    kaizersoze, can I ask did you order the machines online or over the phone?

When I rang Dell yesterday they said they could offer my SP1 if I ordered over the phone!

I ordered through my account manager but that shouldn't make a difference. If it's cheaper, order over the phone but I'd say SP1 is accross the board. The rep on the phone is just worried about their commission.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,677 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

if its not available to you, its a simple mater of using the vLite tool to make your own disc/backup for vista that includes the SP1.

Advertisement