Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Emigrating to New Zealand

Options
  • 11-06-2008 11:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

I'm thinking about emigrating to New Zealand. Has anybody here thought about it? Done it? Come back? Know of anybody who did it? Knows how they went about it?
    Looking for people to share their experiences with me, please!

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Moved to Abroad :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

I'm down here on a workng holiday visa since March. Love the place, people are really friendly, scenery is amazing, weather was really good up until about 2-3 weeks ago but even though its now winter its been sunny a lot in Wellington, if somewhat windy! Took a campervan 4000km around both Islands when we got here and seen some amazing stuff. Settled in Wellington for the next 6-12 months as this is where I found the best job offer doing IT contracting. Theres a massive variety in the weather though, its 17-18 degrees in Auckland still and down as low as below freezing in parts of the south island so it depends where you are.

There's plenty of work in most areas, cost of living is a bit less then at home but not by a huge amount but the NZ dollar is worth half the euro so dont be expecting to return with a fortune. House prices and rent are pretty low and depending on your location commuting times can be good, public transport is pretty good in the cities.

I got a job after a month of searching and will probably apply for a 2 year work permit under the skilled migrant area for IT. I might pop over to Oz and a few other places though so not decided yet whether to stay longer term.

If you're under 30 you can just come down on the working holiday visa and see for yourself what the place is like, you'll also be FAR more likely to get interviews and a job offer if you meet companies face to face, they all get loads of applications from abroad for jobs, you wont get anywhere unless you're here or your trade is in massive shortsupply.

This forum is very good for immigrants: http://www.emigratenz.org/forum/
    Government Immigration Site: www.immigration.govt.nz
    Main Tourist Site: www.newzealand.com

I flew down with Singapore Airlines, flights one way cost me about e600 I think. Feel free to PM with any specific questions.

Advertisement