Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

micronet router problems!! help URGENTLY NEEDED!!!

Options
  • 11-06-2008 10:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

right well i i have a bog standard eircom netopia modem that doesnt have wireless capabilities so i bought a micronet router. The eircom broadband netopia modem is plugged into the wall and works fine with our desktop computer.

i plugged an ethernet cable from the back of the eircom modem into the router. and then the router is throwing out the signal. i have another desktop computer in another room and it has a wirless receiver plugged into it! but the problem is that the other computer is picking up the signal and saying the signal has good strenght but when i open internet explorer it says that the webpage is unavailable!im a bit of computer illiterate. i know its something to do with the browser settings but i cant figure it out!!help me please!! thanks!!:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭allybhoy

What type of micronet router is it? Unless it is an access point and not a router then you will have to configure it before it will work. any chance you could read the manual etc? Not being smart it would just be easier!

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭bealbocht

on my set up , I needed to set up the DSL router as a bridge(details found on my providers FAQ site) and then the wireless router as em.. I forget.. but I needed to put the logon details (user name and pasword) for the provider in the wifi router.. think it is PPPOE in your WAN set up

not too hard, but chances are you will be well familiar with reseting both routers to factory settings and starting again, by the time you are finished.. I was.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Basically if you add a wireless router to another router you duplicate the routing functions which is disastrous. So you need to turn off the routing function in one of them. This is sometimes called putting the router into bridge mode. You can do it with the eircom supplied one or your newly purchased one but it has to be done if you are to get in the net.

In very simplistic terms the router provides each of the attached computers with an address so you can imagine if this function is being duplicated what the problems might be.

Advertisement