Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer problems (HELP!)

Options
  • 11-06-2008 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭

I posted a thread detailing my problem a while back but was unable to fix it. Im starting a new thread in the hope that someone can help! Basically, about a month ago by pc started getting a blue screen of death regularly. It happens about 10 minutes after I start my pc. Once I restart, it doesnt happen again...until the pc is started fresh. Im running Windows XP service pack 2.

I haven't installed any new hardware recently. I have installed lots of software, games mostly, so its hard to know if this could be the problem.

I have two versions of windows install on the single hard drive, one of which I dont use. (side question - how do I get rid of the one that isnt in use ? )

Below is what pops up on the bluescreen and possible descriptions of the problem based on that.
    'A process of thread crucial to system operation terminated etc'

Then it asked if I have installed any hardware recently (which I haven't) or software (which I have).

The only code it gave is as follows, STOP 0x000000F4 (0x0000003, 0x89E61788, 0x89E618FC, 0x805D13B6)

It suggests changing shadowing & caching options in the BIOS menu.

The bluescreen happens when I'm not using any software (apart from IE or Firefox) so I assume that means the software isnt to fault ?
    0x000000F4 (0x00000003, Parameter2, Parameter3, Parameter4)
    Note Parameter2, Parameter3, and Parameter4 in the stop error may vary.

This problem occurs on a computer in which Windows XP or a later operating system is installed on a hard disk that is configured as a subordinate and no other device is connected to the same IDE controller channel (primary or secondary).
    Back to the top

CAUSE
    This behavior may occur when you use Windows XP or a later operating system with some motherboards. Microsoft is researching this problem and will post more information in this article when the information becomes available."

or
    One of the many processes or threads crucial to system operation has unexpectedly exited or been terminated. As a result, the system can no longer function. Specific causes are many, and often best resolved by a careful history of the problem and the circumstances of the error message. One user, who experienced this on return from Standby mode on Win XP SP2, found the cause was that Windows was installed on a slave drive

Any ideas ? All help appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,846 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

Strange one. There is a possibility that it is a hardware issue, such as a damaged CPU or dying RAM. The reason is say this is because you say it happens after around 10 mins, which could be after something heats up enough.

Either way, I think the best thing to do now would be a fresh install. Not the easiest of solutions I know but it can be almost impossible to diagnose these problems. Have you tried System Restore? At least a fresh install would tell you if it's the hardware or not. Alternatively try a Live CD like Knoppix and see if that breaks down after 10 mins too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭mensreas

can u post the spec of the pc?? i agree with micheal collins try a live cd and see if prob persisits

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_qfe.070227-2300)
    BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 4400 @ 2.00GHz (2 CPUs)
    Memory: 2046MB RAM
    Page File: 540MB used, 3398MB available
    DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.2180 32bit Unicode

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS
    Manufacturer: NVIDIA
    Chip type: GeForce 8800 GTS
    DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
    Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0193&SUBSYS_22521682&REV_A2
    Display Memory: 320.0 MB
    Current Mode: 1280 x 1024 (32 bit) (60Hz)

Its a fairly new machine so hopefully the suggestion about dying RAM or damaged CPU isnt correct. Id obviously rather avoid a fresh install.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,570 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Maybe upgrade to service pack 3. Make sure you back up your ****é first.

I have installed lots of software, games mostly, so its hard to know if this could be the problem.

What have you installed apart from games? Anything that uses virtual drivers?

How did you come about to having 2 OS's?

Boggles wrote: »
    Maybe upgrade to service pack 3. Make sure you back up your ****é first.

I have installed lots of software, games mostly, so its hard to know if this could be the problem.

What have you installed apart from games? Anything that uses virtual drivers?

How did you come about to having 2 OS's?

Virtual drives - yes.

I installed windows which I thought included a serial. It didnt and after the 30 days it locked up. I installed a new version of windows (which I now use). Could it be something to do with that ?

• Advertisement

Tusky wrote: »
    Virtual drives - yes.

I installed windows which I thought included a serial. It didnt and after the 30 days it locked up. I installed a new version of windows (which I now use). Could it be something to do with that ?

So you have mounted virtual drives? Which software are you using?

So you have mounted virtual drives? Which software are you using?

Daemon tools & power ISO.

Daemon tools & power ISO.

If they have been installed after the problems started occuring uninstall them first.

If they have been installed after the problems started occuring uninstall them first.

Nah, they were installed long before the problems started.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Have you tested the RAM Tusky, good place to start imo.

• Advertisement

Sherifu wrote: »
    Have you tested the RAM Tusky, good place to start imo.

How does one go about doing that ?

-Is there any way to uninstall the windows that I am not using ?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

How does one go about doing that ?

-Is there any way to uninstall the windows that I am not using ?
    Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

Delete the windows folder, remove the entry from boot.ini.

Sherifu wrote: »
    Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

Delete the windows folder, remove the entry from boot.ini.

I'll try that program, thanks.

Could you expand on the this please ? - "Delete the windows folder, remove the entry from boot.ini."

Advertisement