Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any expectations for Latin?

Options
  • 11-06-2008 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭

Anybody got any expectations what will come up on the Latin test like what poems, what long history questions or the difficulty of the translations? Still got all the history and poems to learn:rolleyes:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭tracker-man

i don't do latin, but i'd love to know what the test is made up of, anything like english? Essay, comprehension, poem? Or like french with an aural? Would you say its easier than other language exams?
    Posted via Mobile Device

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

No it's incredibly tough language, so many clauses and cases. I do French and Irish and neither compare in how hard it is.

Probably sounds stupid but you learn the language to translate passages into English, you rarely ever have to translate English into Latin.

Overall for the paper you need to know something like 18-22 poems, each is about 15-20 lines long on average so that's basically 440 lines of poetry you need to know off by heart. Then you also need to know about 50 A4 pages of detailed Social and Political history of Rome.

The paper is 2 and a half hours and is made up of 400 marks. It consists of:
    Q1 - Poetry question, translate a poem and answer questions (80 marks)
    Q2 - Translation about 15 lines long, translate it into English (80 marks)
    Q3 - Reading comprehension, answer 10 out of 11 questions from a reading comprehension (80 marks)
    Q4 - Another translation of Latin to English (80 marks)
    Q5 - answer 5 short questions on Roman political history and answer one long question on Roman political history (40 marks)
    Q6 - Same as question 5 but based on Social history, not political.

That's basically all there is to JC Latin, absolute bitch tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭tracker-man

woah! That seems much more difficult, extremely difficult. I just thought that because its not a very common subject (i don't know anyone that does it) the paper may be out dated. I mean the irish english maths papers change every so often but because its not a massively popular subject it may be much the same exam for 20 years!
    Glad i didn't do latin, good luck in the exam.

Posted via Mobile Device

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭ciano1

Jesus

Seems like the least useful language you can do
    I thought it would be simple as its not used anywhere anymore

I thought it would be like french in the Layout 'Write a letter to your friend in the Vatican in which You mention ............'

:p:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Cow Moolester

Si hoc signum legere potes, operis boni in rebus Latinis alacribus et fructuosis potiri potes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭ciano1

Si hoc signum legere potes, operis boni in rebus Latinis alacribus et fructuosis potiri potes!

Ah

Its not really that fast paced now is it???!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Cow Moolester

ciano1 wrote: »
    Ah

Its not really that fast paced now is it???!!

Visne saltare? Viam Latam Fungosam scio

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭TransititionMan

Lol that would proberbly be the second last language id ever learn scond only to arabic...
    Good luck though i know a kewl phrase i saw in a book im gunna learn it and use it on a teacher to prove them wrong :P

I think its : "Quod erat demonstrandum"
    Which means : "Which is the thing that was going to be proved",
    which means, " Thus it is proved"

Another one ill use in religion is : "Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem"
    which means "No more things should be presumed to exist than absalutely neccesary."

Hope they help ... just thought they were cool phrases :P

Advertisement