Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat grooming difficulties

Options
  • 11-06-2008 9:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hi,

A few years back I found a little stray cat in an underground car park. I took it home, it's now a big, healthy (snipped) tom cat. He's definitely a moggy, but he does have a long-ish coat (kinda inbetween a european short hair and a full blown long hair cat). Problem is, his coat is too much for himself to look after, and he gets matted bits. I have a de-matting comb, and all sorts of brushes, but he absolutely hates being brushed or combed, no matter how gently I try to do it. I know I have to keep on top of it, as the vet said cats get dermatitis underneath the matted hair.
    Don't know what else to do, any suggestions?
    thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Perhaps snip the matted bits off with a nail scissors?

You could distract him with a treat. If hes a heavy snoozer do it when hes asleep. I know at my old vets they would shave (not to the skin) a little bit off the back legs of long haired cats so it wouldn't get messy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 ilinor

yes, I've been doing that when the clumps get too big. Can't get all of it, though, with a pair of scissors. Scared I'll cut into his skin. He used to be a heavy snoozer, but nit since I started grooming him when he was sleeping. He catches on quick. I do reward him with e treat after the whole brushing ordeal, and he will tolerate it for 30 seconds because he knows he's getting a treat, but not long enough by far to get his coat in order! He's a stubborn scruffball, so he is.

Do you hold him by the scruff of the neck while brushing him, that could restrain his swiping ability. Stand well back when you let him go...

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭houndsoflove

You could ring a few grooming parlours? Some groomers offer a cat grooming service. You could also bring him to a veterinary that also has a dog grooming service and have the cat sedated and then groomed. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 ilinor

he doesn't swipe, just moans, complains, and when he's really fed up he'll hiss. He just squirms until I let him go (and in protest, he farts!). I usually hold him (gently) and the bf has a go at brushing him. We always make sure to give him a treat afterwards, but it's damn hard work and I wish it was easier. I wonder are there any cat grooming places available that would take a difficult customer like this?

• Advertisement

Maybe catnip or one of those plug in yokes, he may attack you while stoned on the nip

funny-pictures-cat-smokes-catnip.jpg

Advertisement