Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heading up to Letterkenny

Options
  • 11-06-2008 5:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭

We are going on a day trip to Letterkenny from Co. Leitrim.

Can anybody recommend lovely spots on the road up there, walks for the dogs, playparks for the 2 year old, shops/ cafe's, that sort of thing.

Also, can you recommend eating establishments, child friendly activities and shopping in Letterkenny.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,888 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Depending on what way you are traveling you have loads of things in Bundoran. Maybe on the way home pop into Biddy O' Barnes pub located about 10 -12 miles from Ballybofey on the Donegal Town road. Make sure its in daylight hours to appreciate the spectacular view of the surrounding mountains. Make sure you go into the public bar rather than the new modern lounge.

I will leave the Letterkenny and shopping bits to others but there are a couple of other threads on the front page which may help if you wish to browse through them.

And whatever you do dont be going in to Cheers bar in Ballybofey and calling everyone muffler :D

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭neighbours

You will enjoy the trip everything you could ask for is in Letterkenny, and the shopping mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm wonderful gokarting, cinmea, bowling for the kids. plenty of pubs for the craic and cheers in Ballybofey is a must for the craic. Magheroarty near Gortahork for the sea fantastic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Mrs.T

muffler wrote: »
    Depending on what way you are traveling you have loads of things in Bundoran. Maybe on the way home pop into Biddy O' Barnes pub located about 10 -12 miles from Ballybofey on the Donegal Town road. Make sure its in daylight hours to appreciate the spectacular view of the surrounding mountains. Make sure you go into the public bar rather than the new modern lounge.

I will leave the Letterkenny and shopping bits to others but there are a couple of other threads on the front page which may help if you wish to browse through them.

And whatever you do dont be going in to Cheers bar in Ballybofey and calling everyone muffler :D

And where do you suggest we go to call everyone Muffler? ;)

Thank you all for the your tips, Biddy's sounds great, might do it on way back? What's the name of the village it's in/ near, so we can keep an eye out.

Mrs.T wrote: »
    What's the name of the village it's in/ near, so we can keep an eye out.
    Actually its in the middle of nowhere so to speak. If you are travelling from Ballybofey to Donegal Town you will be driving between 2 large mountains (one on each side of you) about 8 miles from Ballybofey. There are also a couple of small "pull in" or "picnic/viewing areas" along the roadside if you wanted to stop and take in the view.

Anyhow just after the rood emerges out from between the mountains you will see a little slip road off to your left with a sign for the pub. Its down there - the new road actually bypassed the pub from behind and the old road was left as access to the pub only. The same slip road runs past the pub and takes you back on the main road again. Its only a few hundred metres long.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,968 ✭✭✭DenMan

Just one question please. What the hell does Muffler mean? I can honestly say I have never heard that word before now. Cheers.

• Advertisement

DenMan wrote: »
    Just one question please. What the hell does Muffler mean? I can honestly say I have never heard that word before now. Cheers.
    What word?

Or is it "muffler" you are referring to? If so its a thing that keeps you warm ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,968 ✭✭✭DenMan

Thanks for clearing that up man. At first I thought it may have something to do with sound...ie mute sound. Cheers.

DenMan wrote: »
    Thanks for clearing that up man. At first I thought it may have something to do with sound...ie mute sound. Cheers.
    The yanks would call an exhaust pipe a muffler but here in Ireland Im just something to wrap around the females to keep them warm :D

Advertisement