Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AP as repeater with RADIUS

Options
  • 11-06-2008 5:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭

I need to set up a wireless network in a large, old building with thick walls and other hindrances to wireless networks. I want to set up WPA and RADIUS authentication and be able to set the access points in repeater mode to keep the signal constant throughout the building. I also wanted the APs to have power over ethernet, so that I don't have to run extra power points.

I got three Netgear WG102 access points, which I thought would do the job at a relatively cheap price. The blurb of the WG102 suggested that it had everything I required. Unfortunately, it wasn't completely true, as it had the unfortunate bug (or 'feature', depending on who you are talking to!) of only having WEP encryption available if you switched the AP to repeat mode. No WPA, No RADIUS, only WEP. This is unacceptable for the type of security required.

Can anyone recommend a relatively inexpensive AP that can support WPA and RADIUS while it is set in repeat mode, please. Oh, and it has to have Power Over Ethernet too! I've looked at a few but I'm nervous about buying any more gear that may not work as advertised!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

There is a limitation of bridging lots of access points together, basically each one halves the effective throughput. The alternative is to have a mesh, which isnt cheap (commercial grade). I have set up a bridge and used 2 x WHR-HP-G54 (Buffalo) and it was simple to set up ... but we were not using Radius or POE ....

I have not seen any routers with a radius server built in, it makes sense but probably uses more processing power than the router has available. There are plenty of poe wireless routers that have mesh built in (http://www.alibaba.com/catalog/11592145/11g_High_Power_Indoor_Wi_Fi_Mesh_Router_With_Poe.html ..... stick router, mesh, poe, radius into google)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

Sorry, should have made that clearer but I don't need the access points to act as a radius server, I have a Windows Server 2K3 box for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

Mikrotik stuff should be able to do it , www.mikrotik.com , wirelessconnect.eu

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

Dump the Netgears and get some Buffalo WHR-G54S units. Flash them with DD-WRT and you're laughing...

E.

Advertisement