Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pub Grub Around Mullingar

Options
  • 11-06-2008 4:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭

Having moved from Dublin 4 years ago I've always found Mullingar and surrounding areas to be good for pub grub but my past two dinners out have been very dissapointing. We went to Feericks in Rathowen on the way back from the Longford game and got that pre-cut beef thats not even in slices just bits and pieces, as dry as sand. They had something called a chicken curry that didnt resemble any curry I've ever ate. 50 quid for 3 dinners+desserts(which were a fiver each), only we were starvin...

Couple of weeks ago had a good win at the bookies so went into collect and headed down to the Druids chair with my winnings determined not to stay long in my pocket. It was about 5.30-6pm and there was aboiut 10 people in the place, I thought maybe I missed the rush but there was a severe lack of staff on too so maybe the place is in decline? Ordered the lasagne which I've had several times before and the plate comes loaded with side salad, coleslaw+chips and I've always enjoyed it before. Not cheap at 14euro, in fact about 4euro more then I paid for it in Dublin or Donegal recently. What I got was a few salad leaves and one slice of a tomato. Miserable! Not much chips and a much smaller bowl of lasagne. I thought 20 quid for that and a pint, no tv on and nobody in the place I ain't coming back here!

The one good experiance I had lately was the bar menu in the Annebrook hotel, lovely food, plenty of it, good surroundings and reasonably priced.

Has anyone had similar experiences or more importantly can anyone recommend somewhere good for me to go!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭muckety

Weirs in Multyfarnham have a good menu, and its good quality. Its a bit pricey for a pub in the evening but their lunch menu is good value.

Same goes for the Cloughan Inn on the Delvin road (though I haven't been there for a few months), lunch menu is good and inexpensive (setting not as nice though).

Not a pub, but the Park Hotel buffet is very good value at a tenner, and not bad at all as buffets go.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Strange, any time i have been to the Druids chair we got more food than we could finish. Then again i have only been on a sunday/saturday afternoon.

Danny byrnes is also pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭BeansMeansHynes

Havent been in the Druids in so long. I used to eat there the whole time but it has gone down so much in the last few years. Beer, food and staff!

My favourite place is the Roadhouse. I cannot praise the place enough.

Friendly staff, excellent service and reasonably priced. It gets very busy on a Saturday and Sunday aternoon but the food is always good.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,675 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I ate in The Roadhouse on route to Dublin from Leitrim about a year ago. I was not at all impressed. First, the waitress told us that due to some sort of machine problem they did not accept Laser or credit cards!!? Bad start - had to drive into Mullingar to find an ATM. In the 21st century all eateries should accept debit/credit cards.

When we eventually sat down to dinner, the food was cold and tough. My sirloin steak was very sinewy and chewy and my partner's salmon was cold as ice. We asked them to be taken back and served again. I have to say that the waitress was very pleasant, professional and apologetic for the problems. The portions, when re-served, were not much better than the original ones.

I will not be going back to the Roadhouse again.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭nhughes100

I've been to the roadhouse a few times and found it quite nice, menu could be a bit more extensive though. I wonder is the turn in the economy leading to less people eating out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭newbuild06

I found the covert just outside mullingar on the n4 is very good for food, prices seemed reasonable and the food was very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭mickeyboymel

Roadhouse is back up there again after a bit of a decline for a while, Cons in Dominick St is always good at lunchtime, Covert is great too if you fancy the drive out,but the best value by far at lunchtime is The Park Hotel on the Dublin road, You can help yourself to as much veg & spuds as you can carry!! Also usually two hot mains on self service too,and the carvery joint portions are generous too,might be a euro or two dearer than some places for a main but definitly worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭nhughes100

Tks, Haven't tried Con's yet, didn't know it did food. Covert aint too far from me since I'm in Ballinalack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭siralfalot

Roadhouse is back up there again after a bit of a decline for a while, Cons in Dominick St is always good at lunchtime, Covert is great too if you fancy the drive out,but the best value by far at lunchtime is The Park Hotel on the Dublin road, You can help yourself to as much veg & spuds as you can carry!! Also usually two hot mains on self service too,and the carvery joint portions are generous too,might be a euro or two dearer than some places for a main but definitly worth it.

I actually havn't been to the Roadhouse yet, Con only does lunchtime food during the week, not much in the way of evening and weekend grub there.
    Danny Byrnes is excellent, but then I love the type of music they play (rather loudly :D) there anyway, so its my fav place to go.

for carvery, the Park Hotel is the king, as said above the Roast portions are quite generous and you can eat as much as you can carry of the veg
    I regularly make a pig of myself there during lunch!! :D:o :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭coillcam

My father and 2 younger sisters have plenty of praise for the Bloomfield carvery on Sunday afternoons. They even serve until 8pm. Good portions of quality grub (€10.50-€12.00) and there's 1/2 portions for the kids at €8. Nuggets/sausages and chips are a bit cheaper too iirc. Nice staff, plenty of room and a handy out of town location.

• Advertisement

From Ballinalack you're very handy for Weirs in Multy as well as the Covert in Ballinafid, and not hugely far to the Clougan Inn (probably the quickest route is to head down N4 to the N52/Delvin road). These are all worth a try if you haven't yet.

I had lunch in the restaurant in the Newbury recently (not a pub I know but not madly pricey either) - it was pretty good for the price (we were in at 12.30 when it opened which I think helps!).

Was in the Covert at the weekend, first time in ages - had a really good lunch. Portions are good and they will bring more if you ask!

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭ShortskirtCiara

I'd recommend cons or danny brynes in Mullingar town, great atmosphere and theres always people there too! Outside however, i'd recommend Weirs in multifarnham or scanlons in kinnegad, both very nice and reasonably priced too. Not too sure about the cloghan inn as mentioned above, I think the place is closing down from what i see, it looks run down and the outside hasnt changed in years. Went there for lunch going back years ago and even then i thought the place was dirty and old. Anyone been there recently??

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭BeansMeansHynes

I have heard good things about the Cloughan Inn doing seriously nice dinners. I havent heard it was closing down.

I was in Scanlon's a few years back and I was going through a whole no meat phase, I asked them did they have any veggie options. The dirty looks I got was unreal. They had no veg option so I just go a plate of peas and turnip! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭BOLT

Called in to the Roadhouse a few months back...thought the food was, at best, ****e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Eirgizmo

Adding my two cents worth here: :pac:

Druid's Chair - The food is "OK" but the service is terrible (based on more than one experience) and the place is pretty manky too. They really need to get their act together in there or the place may as well shut.

Danny Byrnes - Good choice of dishes but some days are better than others. I had the curry recently and it was tasteless. Really like this venue but it may not be suitable for people who like to see what they are eating and despite the impressive layout and atmosphere, the toilets are pretty bad and should be avoided.

Greville Arms Hotel - Good selection but how anyone can eat in there is beyond me - the place is so grotty!

Annebrook Hotel
    (carvery) - Hit & miss! Nice place and they have a good selection but sometimes the food is only luke warm.

Mullingar Park Hotel - Nice carvery and a fantastic salad bar but its a little bit too out of town to just "drop in". Worth a visit though.

Cons - Not bad at all.

Cloughan Inn - Has the appearance of a run down old shack and is a short drive from the town, but the food used to be VERY good in there. Sadly, the management decided to shut down the kitchen last Autumn so its just a locals pub now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Auntie me

Reynos cafe in Mullingar has the best lunch in town. Absolutely delicious everytime

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭lordstilton

Its a bit of a spin, 30 min, but the fatted calf in glasson is outstanding...well worth the trip out

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭jmcc99_98

Its a bit of a spin, 30 min, but the fatted calf in glasson is outstanding...well worth the trip out

Fatted Calf is superb. But yes it is at least a 30 min drive.

Cons always has excellent food at lunchtime

I would question the recommendation for Reynos above. Poster has only posted once, and on the same day as they registered, I smell a rat.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Auntie me

I didn't know you couldn't post something until you had registered for a while so please don't say you smell a dirty rat and yes I went to Reynos café last week and yes the food was absolutely delicious. Try it for yourself.

• Advertisement

Whoaaaa calm yourself there Auntie Me, I was just saying that it looked suspicious that someone has only one post , and it looked like they registered solely to recommend a restaurant.

I have been to Reyno's twice and found the food ok, but the service very poor

BTW I never said that the rat was dirty! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Liquidchild

Weir's in Multyfarnham is beautiful, decent price about 12 or 13 euro for a main course. The owner is a bit smug but the delicious food makes up for it. In town I prefer Dannys or Saagars if Indians your thing. 40 euro for early bird for 2 with a decent bottle of plonk :-) Budget wise then go for Buddy Cadillacs. Cheap and Cheerful!!

Didn't Buddy's close YEARS ago?

muckety wrote: »
    Didn't Buddy's close YEARS ago?

It did, but now it's unfortunately called 'The Bleeding Horse" I certainly wouldn't recommend it. Went in about 3 months ago after a night out. Even though I was half cut I couldn't stomach the food, staff were really nice and friendly though

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭lordstilton

Buddy's is pure and utter muck

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

Caman Inn in Delvin is good

Also so is Caffreys in Oldcastle. 25 mins from Mullingar. Monday to Fri its €9 for main with free coffee afterwards.

Stay away from Hotel castlepollard

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭robjones1981

Stay away from Hotel castlepollard

was there last year and it was "ok" - basic and plain - but a bit expensive

has it gone down hill?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

was there last year and it was "ok" - basic and plain - but a bit expensive

has it gone down hill?

Lead would not have went down as much. Muck

Advertisement