Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USB Extenders.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

Not to sound smart, but why wouldn't they? Just a simple converter...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Mirror wrote: »
    Not to sound smart, but why wouldn't they? Just a simple converter...

Is it just a simple converter though?

I thought their was a distance limit of 5 meteres (16' 5") for USB 2

And 3 meters (9' 10") for USB 1.

This device claims 50 meters (164' Approx) & claims to be a repeater too.

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

It converts the USB signals to Ethernet, sends them over a long Ethernet cable (which is not supplies, you need one to cover the distance) and then back to USB again. I don't see whay it wouldn't work, since Ethernet cables can be far longer than USB without issue, as long as the conversion in these little adapters is flawless.

For about 12 euro, you've not got much to loose. Worth the try anyway. Might get some myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

jor el wrote: »
    It converts the USB signals to Ethernet, sends them over a long Ethernet cable (which is not supplies, you need one to cover the distance) and then back to USB again. I don't see whay it wouldn't work, since Ethernet cables can be far longer than USB without issue, as long as the conversion in these little adapters is flawless.

For about 12 euro, you've not got much to loose. Worth the try anyway. Might get some myself.
    +1

This is what I meant. You're correct in your measurements on usb cables, but since the actual data transfer is occurring over CAT5 cables there shouldn't be a problem.

Advertisement