Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading Operating System(Vista basic to Vista premium)

Options
  • 11-06-2008 2:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭

Hi all....

Have been trying to get around to upgrading my home pc for awhile now and was in PC world and seen two versions of premium....One an upgrade(approx €180) and One a full version(Approx €350),
    Just wondering...What one do i have to get if i want to upgrade from Vista basic too Vista premium...

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

I really wouldn't bother upgrading from Vista Basic to Vista Premium. The change in features is rather minimal. If you are set on upgrading, go to Vista Business or Ultimate as they are much for capable operating systems.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Bummer wrote: »
    Hi all....

Have been trying to get around to upgrading my home pc for awhile now and was in PC world and seen two versions of premium....One an upgrade(approx €180) and One a full version(Approx €350),
    Just wondering...What one do i have to get if i want to upgrade from Vista basic too Vista premium...

Look for buying a OEM version of Vista ultimate, it will be much cheaper, only downside is you will need to backup before upgrading as it will wipe the drive, but doing a fresh install upgrade is usually reccomended anyway..

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

yoyo wrote: »
    Look for buying a OEM version of Vista ultimate, it will be much cheaper, only downside is you will need to backup before upgrading as it will wipe the drive, but doing a fresh install upgrade is usually reccomended anyway..

Nick

Aye.

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=354185

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Bummer

Thanks a million for your suggestions so far......
    jmccrohan wrote: »
    I really wouldn't bother upgrading from Vista Basic to Vista Premium. The change in features is rather minimal. If you are set on upgrading, go to Vista Business or Ultimate as they are much for capable operating systems.
    The reason im changing is im basically sick of looking at a vista pc that reminds me so much of XP(Thats what Basic is like)...
    yoyo wrote: »

Nick
    I will hav to make a backup of everything no matter what new vista i get so the hard drive will come in handy....:D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

What ever floats your boat. :)

Personally I hate aero (looks like but just a big resource hog). I use vista business with the windows classic (windows 2000) theme.

Have you tried some of the other theods in vista?
    Posted via Mobile Device

• Advertisement

Advertisement