Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Small dog in an apartment?

Options
  • 11-06-2008 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭

Hi,

There was a gorgeous little stray dog with no collar hanging around my in-laws' house over the past couple of days. No idea what type it was - about the size of a yorkie but nothing like that in looks. I'd say she was about 2 or 3 years old, lovely quiet temperment, had no collar but looked quite well looked after.

Anyway, my wife adored her and fed her and made up a bed and all that, and has checked in all the local supermarkets and vets, putting up posters with the dog's picture but there was no sign of anyone looking for her, and the dog has been dropped off at the local animal sanctuary, which broke my wife's heart, as she thinks if the dog isn't re-homed within 7 days it'll be put down.

She desperately wants to take her back and keep her, but the only problem is that we live in an apartment. There's no problems with pets prohibited on a lease or anything, as we actually own the apartment. But we're just wondering about the actual practicalities of having a small dog in an apartment. Not worried about noise annoying neighbours, as she's extremely quiet - but would it be ok for the dog?

My wife is animal mad, so it would definitely be well looked after, and we both work locally so we're home at lunch and home before 6 each day.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

I don't think it is the lease that forbids pets in an apartment, but the actual apartment "house rules", which are set by the managment company. So even if you own the apartment, you still have to abide by the managment companies house rules (they have similar rules for sat dishes/clothes lines etc).

You would probably need to check that out first before deciding what to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

Yeah, sorry, meant to add a bit about that too. The apartment block is kinda wierd in that there is no management company, and hasn't been for about 4 years. There's no official upkeep of the communal areas, no annual fees etc. Stuff like the communal areas is dealt with by a couple of the apartment owners on an informal basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

In that case it would seem to me like you are free to have pets. If there are no official rules then they can't be broken!

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

I live in an apartment block and a good few of my neighbours have little dogs who all seem perfectly content. The owners are all in the circumstances of being able to be around a lot - up every morning bringing them for a walk before work and again in the evening, and most are around during the day as well.

These dogs seem to me to be in much better form that the endlessly barking dogs in the surrounding houses who are stuck alone in the gardens all day and don't get half the attention as the apartment dogs.

Id say go for it. Just do your research and make sure that you have thought through all circumstances like holidays, being delayed in work, kids, visitors etc.

ps - I'd really look into getting a Management Committee set up in your apartment block btw! All you owners could get into serious difficulty if your block insurance isn't being paid etc!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

I think it would be fine as long as she wasn't left alone for more than 4 hrs at a time and got plenty of exercise (about an hour a day) if you're allowed to keep pets then you could always look into getting another little dog as a companion for her, they usually love to have a companion to play with etc.

as for the animal sanctuary, usually it's only county council run pounds that put dogs down. the only time regular rescues will put them down is if they are incurably ill or vicious as far as I know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

Thanks for the replies guys. We phoned the centre today and told them even though we'd dropped the dog off with them yesterday we'd like to pick her up again :D

They told us we'd have to wait 10 days as they're giving her injections and spaying her etc, and they have to do a home check on us. Hopefully they'll think our living situation is ok!

Advertisement