Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I completely wipe an old PC?

Options
  • 11-06-2008 12:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭

I have an windows 95, 8 year old PC that I want to throw out and completely wipe of all its contents. It was used by someone else in the house for work related business so it's important it's completely clean before I give it the heave-ho! I'm sure it's far too old for anyone to be bothered with if they came across it at the dump but for peace of minds sake can anyone recommend any idiot-proof software that will completely wipe it? Preferably something free.:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

dban would be best

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭muggyog

Yep, Boot & Nuke is the best. Theres no going back after you run this application. Create a boot CD and Nuke your HD!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,738 ✭✭✭degsie

J-cloths and some compressed air should do the trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

muggyog wrote: »
    Yep, Boot & Nuke is the best. Theres no going back after you run this application. Create a boot CD and Nuke your HD!
    +1 for DBAN. Used it to cleanse a server. Do the 3 day one to give it a good going over. That, or drilll a number of holes into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭SickBoy

I like the option of drilling the holes.
    To take it to another level you could then steep it in a container of acid over night just to make sure good and proper :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

SickBoy wrote: »
    I like the option of drilling the holes.
    To take it to another level you could then steep it in a container of acid over night just to make sure good and proper :D
    not so sure how good the acid bath would be.
    platters survive caustic soda very well since the aluminium is coated and that coating might be acid resistant too

Try this

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭SickBoy

I'm sure the holes that were drilled into the platters would penetrate whatever protective coating you might find on them ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭mensreas

do what i done sledge the bi**h!! effective and very fun!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Dban it is then, although it's tempting to keep the PC around for sometime I'm in a VERY bad mood to try out some of the other suggestions! :)
    Thanks to you all .:)

Advertisement