Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SYN Flood Attack Detect

Options
  • 11-06-2008 12:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭

Hi been seeing this quite a bit on my wireless routers log recently.

My WEP encryption was cracked recently , and was seeing extra unknown IPs appearing on the log. So have set up IP filtering, changed to "WPA personal" , stopped broadcasting SSID, and have been changing the 50'ish+ character encryption passphrase regularly..

Seem to be , free of visitors, but was wondering.. are SYN Flood Attacks, always malacious, or could they be caused by a large number of wifi devices in proximity (which there seems to be, can count 7 broadcast ssid's right now, so must be any number of wifi laptops etc around)

and ping of death, seen this once.. is this wireless or coming down the telephone line ??

Is there anything I can do to stop them, apart from some military style signal jammer, or.. which I am considering, just using the damn cable, I sit in the same place all the time anyway.. and its faster.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Martyr

SYN flood attacks are always malicious.

wifi devices in proximity don't use TCP/IP which is what i believe you're referring to, these SYN packets are coming from the internet.

the router should be configured to block incoming connections unless you've enabled port forwarding on it or changed some rules in the setup.

No, there isn't really much you can do about it.

as for blocking wifi radio signals, there are ways to do this, but i can't tell you how :P

Advertisement