Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

puppy hernia..is it serious?

Options
  • 11-06-2008 12:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭

Is a very small hernia in a puppy serious? Breeder says no, it happens sometimes. Anyone any experience with this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭LovelyTom

If in doubt bring it to a vet. It's your responsibility as the owner of an animal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Don't own pup, just curious to know is it common? does it close up like with baby? If i was getting pup would see vet first.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭Demonique

Bring it to a vet to make sure

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭carwash_2006

It is not usually harmful, I wouldn't say it is really common but it does happen from time to time. It does sometimes close up itself, but if it has not by 6 months it can be dealt with at the same time as neutering or spaying.

However a vet ought to be the one to decide whether it is serious or not, not a breeder. Every pup should be brought to the vet by its new owners anyway, so it really shouldn't be necessary for somebody to ask if they should get the vet to look at it (OP I know you are not asking this, I'm just stating the facts)

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

It varies from case to case but a small hernia on a puppy often isn't dangerous. The vet would pick this up when the puppy is first brought to them for vaccinations etc and would tell the owner if surgery was needed asap or could wait until the dog was neutered/spayed. It seems to be somewhat common - I've seen a fair few puppies with hernias while waiting in the vets.

My Dane had a small umbilical hernia as a puppy. It was fixed at the same time she was spayed :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

As i said it's not my dog and i would take new pet of any kind to vet on day i got it just for check up. Just got talking to lady with pups(breeder) who mentioned it and was curious. Never seen it myself and wondered if it was as she said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Amimad

One of my dogs has one. I was concerned at first but my vet told me to keep an eye on it & if it dind't increase in time that it would be fine. It's still there & causes no problem,but i do check regularly, just in case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 coisaille

my dog had one as a pup, don't think its really a big deal, she had to have a few stitches put in it before I picked her up from the breeder, anyway, no lasting effects, she's a year old now and fit as a fiddle!

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Morganna

It depends on if its an umbilical hernia which is relativley harmless or an inguinal hernia which does need treatment.I wouldnt be happy if it was an inguinal hernia

Advertisement