Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harveys bar & grill balbriggan

Options
  • 10-06-2008 10:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭

Me and the b/f went out for dinner tonight and just happened to be the opening of harveys over the harvest bar so said we'd try it out...

Was really impressed with layout of place and the menu,place was packed and it only opened at 6. Its kinda like captain americas or thunder road cafe-cocktail bar too...

Say it will do really well as i think its kinda place the towns lacking-great place to meet up with group of friends for food and drinks...

SUppose time will tell anyway but i'd recommend it.Oh and just went for the burgers tonight and they were sooo filling,so if ordering em skip starter and dessert unless hungry :D

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Anyone happen to have a phone number for it?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

I think it's 690 3945 or 609 3495. Defo begins 609

Saw it on Wednesday and memory is getting a bit bad of late.

As for the place itself suzieb, had you eaten there when it was The Georgian? The food there was always very good too. Jimmy & Family know how to keep people happy with grup.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

or 690... even;)
    Thanks Blueronic:)

No answer from that number but I will try again later.

Moonbeam wrote: »
    or 690... even;)
    Thanks Blueronic:)

No answer from that number but I will try again later.

Confirmed as 690 3495!

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Kurumba

We ate here last night and it was lovely. The menu is very different to how it used to be, you won't get roast chicken and turnips here!
    The menu is huge though, there's loads of different things to choose from.
    I had the burger which was lovely, it came with chips or baked potato, i had the baked potato ( they actually gave me 2) but i couldn't eat it because the burger was so big!
    Starter of Bruschetta was lovely as well. The OH had the potato skins with the chilli beef and said they were delish.

The layout of the place is fantastic as well, a lot of work and money went in to it.

• Advertisement

Yaay, booked a table:)

Thanks for the reviews and the number.

My opinions of the place are slightly mixed..

The decor is lovely and the cocktail list extensive.
    There is also lots of choice on the food menu and there are even a few choices for the veggies.
    The food is good but a little confused.

If you order the nachos for starters be aware they are actually half taco shells and not nachos,which was very disappointing.

The reports on the burgers were good and apparently the steak was excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭aniascor

Ate here on Saturday evening and really enjoyed it. We both had burgers (chicken for me and beef for him) and they were both really good. It was a lot of food! The dessert menu looked really tempting, and I saw a few delicious looking ice-cream sundaes being delivered to other tables, but I was too stuffed. That's a treat I'll have to save until next time.

Definitely recommend it if you're in the mood for burgers, steaks, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Where is this place, may have to check it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

pithater1 wrote: »
    Where is this place, may have to check it out.

Its above the Harvest Bar on the main street.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Its above the Harvest Bar on the main street.

I was wondering what they were building there. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

I went down last night at about 7.30pm and asked for a table and was told they had stopped serving due to difficulties.

A cousin of mine works there and said they had ran out of food. Was quite dissappointed as was looking forward to going it. From what I saw the place looks lovely. Will have to wait to sample the food though

• Registered Users Posts: 24,964 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

sgarvan wrote: »
    they had stopped serving due to difficulties........ .................they had ran out of food
    That would be difficult alright. LOL :D

I suppose it's a good sign. In a new restaurant, it must be difficult to guage demand especially by Sunday evening.

That would be difficult alright. LOL :D

I suppose it's a good sign. In a new restaurant, it must be difficult to guage demand especially by Sunday evening.
    They were overwhelmed with it being Fathers Day apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭suzieb

Just to add i went during the week and it was great.
    Rang twice over weekend to make booking for yest evening for fathers day and was told no bookings taken but to come down and would defo get a table.
    So arrived at 6 and waitress said hang on i'l get you table shortly. Then blonde girl maybe supervisor came over and said "were fully booked" and walked off.
    I was really pi**ed off with her attitude as we werent sure whether to wait as first girl said she'd get us a table.
    Could be first week problems but its rude to turn people away in such a manner in a new place that is going to rely on locals for business.
    Saying that i will be back but hopefully service will be better!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Went down there last night - the place looks really well. Very TGI-inspored style with lots of American memorabilia around the place, good for a Burger type place.

The food was really nice, of all of us in the party two had the burger (extremely tasty, and just enough to eat without being too much), one had the Chicken Goujons / tenders (very good and almost more than you could eat) and one had the Cod (again, good stuff, the batter coating is really light).

Overall the first impressions are really positive - clearly a lot of money has been put into redesigning the place, and there is plenty of choice in the menu for everyones tastes. It's a great addition to the town for somewhere to go on a casual night out, a cool place for a party, or even to grab a quick bite before heading to the Cinema.

I did have a couple of small quibbles with it though.
    1) They have "Rola Cola" instead of real Coke or Pepsi - this is almost a crime in such a place. All the branding inside and on the menus practically screams Coca Cola at you. When you order a Coke and you taste it from the start you know it's not 'even better than the real thing'. I would almost prefer if they went downstairs and brought up an overpriced can.
    - This may sort itself out with time, as I know the Lounge isn't open downstairs and presume they may place drinks orders together. At least I hope.

2) They only have a bar of soap in the Toilets. I don't know if it's just me, but in a Public Loo, I prefer to have some sort of Soap dispenser rather than a bar of soap. I mean, you have no idea how many hands have already used the bar of soap. Hopefully this may change with time.

They were testing the fire alarm downstairs in the lounge when we were there, so it was a disturbance - but it's not something that will happen every time your there.

I don't want to sound negative about the place because overall it was a very positive first impression - the staff were friendly and helpful, the decor and the general atmosphere / theme of the place were set just right. On a Friday night, or at the weekends I would say this place could be hopping. These are just a few little niggles that could be easily resolved.

Best of Luck to them, I really hope it takes off - it looks like quite a few bob has been invested in it.

You should mention 1 & 2 to Anthony (Jimmy's son). Feedback is what it's all about.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dublin's Finest

Are they showing Euro 2008?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Sorry - I don't know. I wasn't there when the matches were on. I'm sure they would be able to, there's plenty of Flat Screen Tellies in there.

1) They have "Rola Cola" instead of real Coke or Pepsi - this is almost a crime in such a place. All the branding inside and on the menus practically screams Coca Cola at you. When you order a Coke and you taste it from the start you know it's not 'even better than the real thing'
    I get seriously pi**ed off when some pubs, restaurants and especially hotels do this. Do the really think it's acceptable to serve Pepsi, Canada Dry Cola etc. when the customer orders Coke. Are the staff so stupid that they can't explain to the customer when taking the order that they don't stock Coke.

If a customer ordered Guinness, would they serve Beamish/Murphy's or if a particular wine was selected would they serve anything? It shouldn't be any different with soft drinks.

That's put me right off going there now! :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,916 ✭✭✭dubmick

lol ^ Michael Douglas in Falling Down

dubmick wrote: »
    lol ^ Michael Douglas in Falling Down
    :eek: I'm generally very mild mannered and very patient but there are times when one has to make a stand..........:)

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dublin's Finest

:eek: I'm generally very mild mannered and very patient but there are times when one has to make a stand..........:)

What's your views on splash?

Ah that was Daryl Hannah in her hay day.

Splash? :confused:

Splash? :confused:
    The syrup and soda water mixture which you get in most pubs and club via the gun. The 'cola' comes in a box in syrup form and is mixed in flow with 5ish parts soda water to one part cola syrup to give you your drink! Often the mix is wrong and by God does it taste bizzare.

Of course most drinks be it Coca cola, or any of their products are mixed up this way in pubs when they come from guns.

Bluetonic wrote: »
    The syrup and soda water mixture which you get in most pubs and club via the gun.
    LOL :D I thought it was another restaurant in Balbriggan!

Mrs Wishbone Ash wouldn't be impressed to get a 'squirt' in her vodka. She insists on the bottle/can.

PS - now that reminds me - those bloody places that serve Huzzar when Smirnoff is specified.............

OK - I'll shut up now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 balbrigganseye

Have tried harveys bar and grill three times. Very Impressed. Alot of hard work and time has gone into it. They had a few teething issues- I am sure they will sort them out. One issue I do have is the pricing of some of their dishes - steaks in particular. I just feel as there is an elemet of biting the hand that feeds you here.Charging €27 .50 for a T-Bone (Some of the other steaks are as overpriced) is a bit rich. Its non Shanahans or the Merion Hotel. There again , some might say ,if you dont like the price dont buy it.- Fair enough. Overall the place is a great addition to the town.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

everything is priced well in my opinion.

worked there for years when it was the georgian.

you'll go all the way to The Monasterboice Inn on the Dundalk road to find a better TBone, the meat is top top quality and chefs there know their steaks!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement