Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living in Stoneybatter?

Options
  • 10-06-2008 9:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hey, my friends and I are considering renting a house in stoneybatter, and were wondering if anyone knew anything about the area? Is it a safe place to live or will we be brutally killed?????

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,478 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

You are just as likely to be killed in Donnybrook as in Stoneybatter.

It's not a bad area, but it's not a pleasant walk home from town late at night.

Rents are cheap, and it's near enough to town to walk/cycle to work if you work there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Nice place to live in general, handy for town, around O'Devanney Gardens is a bit rough though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Myth or not:
    Are you likely to encounter working girls (or whatever term you prefer) at night?

No, I'm not looking for info. :p
    But the OP needs to know if they are walking home every night, and you know you don't want chatting going on outside your window at night
    I've heard the reputation but it could be a myth.

If my post is unsuitable or daft, then feel free to delete it mods

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 corkgirl1

Currently rent in the area and I really like it. Have been considering buying in the area myself. Going to start viewing what is on offer in the next couple of weeks

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,478 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

micmclo wrote: »
    Myth or not:
    Are you likely to encounter working girls (or whatever term you prefer) at night?

No, I'm not looking for info. :p
    But the OP needs to know if they are walking home every night, and you know you don't want chatting going on outside your window at night
    I've heard the reputation but it could be a myth.

If my post is unsuitable or daft, then feel free to delete it mods

No no, he's entitled to know what local facilities are available. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 anastasiabeaver

we've heard a lot of bad things about it; bikes being robbed, car windows smashed etc... aaand that if we walk around after dark we WILL be mistaken for a prostitute...

anyone know what old cabra roads like?

we've heard a lot of bad things about it; bikes being robbed, car windows smashed etc... aaand that if we walk around after dark we WILL be mistaken for a prostitute...

anyone know what old cabra roads like?

1) tie up your bike
    2) if you can afford to run a car you might want to consider living somewhere a little nicer e.g. glasnevin, ranelagh etc
    3) so what if you're mistaken for a prostitute, just say you're not or don't walk around aimlessly at night
    4) cabra is worse IMO (well, some parts).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

corkgirl1 wrote: »
    Currently rent in the area and I really like it. Have been considering buying in the area myself. Going to start viewing what is on offer in the next couple of weeks

As property prices are falling, and it's looking like it's going to stay that way for a long time, I'd hold off on the buying if I were you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭bangersandmash

1) tie up your bike
    2) if you can afford to run a car you might want to consider living somewhere a little nicer e.g. glasnevin, ranelagh etc
    3) so what if you're mistaken for a prostitute, just say you're not or don't walk around aimlessly at night
    4) cabra is worse IMO (well, some parts).
    Agree with your points except #3. Firstly it's not that unreasonable to want be able to take a stroll in the evening, especially if you're going to spend a few hundred grand on a cramped apartment. Secondly a female friend was attacked at night a few years ago in an area with a similar reputation by a group of local scumbags. Gardai said that it was very likely they assumed she was a prostitute and wouldn't report the attack, apparently a "mistake" that often happens.

Agree with your points except #3. Firstly it's not that unreasonable to want be able to take a stroll in the evening, especially if you're going to spend a few hundred grand on a cramped apartment. Secondly a female friend was attacked at night a few years ago in an area with a similar reputation by a group of local scumbags. Gardai said that it was very likely they assumed she was a prostitute and wouldn't report the attack, apparently a "mistake" that often happens.

In re your first point I agree with you, insofar as paying a few hundred grand to live in a rough inner city area is very very wrong - see the bubble thread.

Re: the second point, I accept your point but what I was trying to get at is that if safety is an issue for you, you should live in a safer, albeit further out area. If you are going to live near the city centre, you have to have a stiff upper lip about these things. That said, the attack on your friend sounds nasty as unfortunately our scumbags usually only attack women, the elderly and other vunerable people. However, it could happen anywhere in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Safety isn't really an issue in Stoneybatter. The prositutes were originally on Benburb St near the quays, which is easily avoidable if you're walking to there. They've since been moved on afaik (I don't live there but my mates do).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

You could try searching the askaboutmoney.com Location, Location, Location forum for "stoneybatter". Opinions vary from the "Never had any bother here" to some more gloomy reports of anti-social behaviour and vandalism etc. This seemed to vary from street to street.

I toyed with the idea of moving into the area myself, but decided against it, favouring Drumcondra/Phibsborough instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭gazzer

I would LOVE to live back in Stoneybatter. I grew up around there and spent my first 20 years in that general area. IMO it has a great feel to it especially around Manor St. Granted there are some areas of it that I wouldnt live in .. e.g any of the roads near O'Devaney Gardens(I lived in O'Devaney Gardens so I know what its like) but Oxmanstown Road(and just about all of the side roads off it) is a great area to live. So is Arbour Hill (though there was a fair amount of protitutes up near the prison when the Luas was been built). In fact IMO 90% of Stoneybatter is fine and I would move there in a heartbeat if I could afford it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

micmclo wrote: »
    Myth or not:
    s

Used to some around Benburb street and near the prison in the day but not anymore AFAIK. Wouldn't have called them 'girls' either to be honest. :D

I love StoneyBatter, but I would say that the walk from town at night (especially the Brunswick Street way) could be a bit dodge for women. That said, you're right in town nearly so taxis would be cheap enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭whizzbang

define "brutally"

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement