Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why won't you stay on?

Options
  • 10-06-2008 9:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭

Hi, I got a new mobo/cpu/ram/hdd for a mates pc. I fitted all the bits and powered her up to install windows and it loaded the files needed and got to the part where you choose partitioning/where to install xp then just turned itself off. I tried again and it happened again... any idea what could cause this?

I tried a different power pack, ram and a hard drive to no avail....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Hi, I got a new mobo/cpu/ram/hdd for a mates pc. I fitted all the bits and powered her up to install windows and it loaded the files needed and got to the part where you choose partitioning/where to install xp then just turned itself off. I tried again and it happened again... any idea what could cause this?

I tried a different power pack, ram and a hard drive to no avail....
    I would check cooling. CPU fan, case fan, thermal paste correctly applied etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Could also be a short somewhere. Out of case build... Heat is most likely though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

I'm such an idiot sometimes!

I went to check the thermal paste situation by removing the cpu and realised i'd left the plastic tray on the bottom of the heatsink out of the box.... i'm a donkey!! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

I'm such an idiot sometimes!

I went to check the thermal paste situation by removing the cpu and realised i'd left the plastic tray on the bottom of the heatsink out of the box.... i'm a donkey!! :o

I hope that's not your day job:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭runswithascript

Hee Haw Hee Haw! :d

• Advertisement
Advertisement