Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who's right and who's wrong?

Options
  • 10-06-2008 8:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭

My housemate and I all but moved out of a house about 5/6 weeks ago but had already paid the final month's rent. So last week I dropped the key back to the estate agent and was told to expect a phone call about getting our deposit back. Got none so I went in today to be told that the landlord is going to hold onto the deposit because of a supposedly terrible stain on the carpet in the sitting room floor. I haven't been talking to the landlord yet and I got the impression that he hasn't seen the house himself and his basing his decision on the estate agents' word. I've been told that a stain is no legal justification to hold onto the deposit and was wondering if this is correct or not.

The estate agent also tried to bull**** me quite a bit, claiming the house smelled of alcohol and cigarettes, and that another thing that gave the landlord justification for holding our deposit was that we had used his bins without emptying them. They were almost full when we moved in and we added a total of maybe 10 empty cans and 2 pizza boxes to them, which apparently along with a stain on a piece of carpet adds up to cost me 100's of euros. I'm not even going to start about the state of the house when we moved in.

But yeah, I'm just wondering if I have a leg to stand on or if the landlord is actually justified in with-holding the deposit.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,308 ✭✭✭✭Victor

If you caused the stain, theyn you have to pay for that, you are entitled tot he rest of hte money back.

The landlord may also charge if they had to readvertise on short notice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Well we gave 5 and a half weeks notice.

It's been just under a week since I dropped the keys back, any way to speed up the process?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

Victor wrote: »
    If you caused the stain, theyn you have to pay for that, you are entitled tot he rest of hte money back.

The landlord may also charge if they had to readvertise on short notice.

If its not a disaster of a stain on the carpet or if the carpet is oldish surely the OP could be entitled to money back under a 'general wear and tear' scenario?

Advertisement