Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crackling PSU

Options
  • 10-06-2008 6:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭

I have a Dell XPS 710.

My PSU is making what i can only describe as a crackling sound. Kinda like plug box that has a loose wire. I can see the surge light on the multi-plug adapter flicking when it makes this sound.

It was doing it before. Dell came out in April and replaced the PSU with a new one.

I'm a noob when it comes to computer components and issues. Is this a case of pc drawing too much power? Is there any way for me to solve this besides having Dell replace the PSU again?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

i doubt your unlucky enough to get 2 dodgey psu's in a row , could be a problem with the power in your house or the Power lead from the psu to the power outlet , or the Surge protector. try a different lead/outlet/surge protector and see if your having the same issue :D

hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Get a bigger PSU off them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Do what Papu says - try and cancel out any other possibilities before assuming the PSU is at fault. AFAIK if there's too much power being drawn it should just switch off, or if it's cheap junk it might blow (unlikely being Dell).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I think i've ruled it down to the plug outlet. I didn't think it was that because i was hear the crackling at the PSU and not plug box.

I'm gonna have a look at plug outlet later.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭runswithascript

Whatever you do don't leave it downloading that must have torrent over night!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭muggyog

Is it a faulty mains lead? This happens when they get frayed. Test another one off other mains powered equipment around the house.

Advertisement