Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Starting Plan . . . any thoughts / advice ?

Options
  • 10-06-2008 4:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭

I've been playing on PPP.com for around a year now but haven't really been taking it seriously to be honest. I win, I lose, I change levels, I play STTs, MTTs, satellites, HU, this , that and the other. No real logic to it, I've just been playing to learn the game, get a feel for the different formats etc. Over the past while I've started to enjoy it alot more and have stopped playing live in town as much.

I recently got pokertracker and imported all my hands (c. 20,000) from the past year and this basically made it hit home that I was all over the place as far as online play went. I was up and down like a mad thing and my results were all over the shop.

So, I've decided to settle it down a bit and come up with a plan to start measuring my performance online over the next 4 months. I am starting with an initial bankroll of $600 and will be playing 0.10c/0.20c NL full table cash games, playing 3 tables at a time (to start with anyway - may move up if this becomes comfortable).

This gives me 30 buy-ins at this level (30 x $20). After reading Pok3rplaya's thread on bankroll management this seems to be OK for this
    level. The plan then is to play c. 20,000 hands per month (about 5 hours a day, 5 days a week) between now and September (between jobs now - new one starts September) to start getting the cash deals from PPP.com / or if I double by bankroll to move up to the next level 0.25c / 0.50c. At around 20k hands per month at current level, PPP.com give you $50 cash (cos of Paddy points deal) per month into your account I think, and I will add this to my bankroll. So, if all goes well I will have the right amount to move up by October and after playing that amount of hands I should have improved (hopefully)

I will be tracking everything in Pokertracker and should that way be able to plug a few holes in my game and have an accurate measure of my profit (/losses). After moving up a level to 0.25/0.50 (is this the same as 50nl ?) I should be earnings more points on PPP and earning more cashback which in turn can go back into my BR.

By the sound of it, most of the posters on here have done this a long time ago and some are still at it (or something similar) so I thought it would be worth posting this before I started off to see if anyone has any thoughts / comments / suggestions / criticisms / etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Dont play on Powers, much better deals around, id reccomend going to PSO and start grinding some kickbacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

First off, Good plan. You seem to have yur head screwed on about it.

Secondly, move to a site that gives players better deals. PPP C*a*s*h is THE SINGLE biggest load of bollix Ive ever come across. Check out some other iPoker sites and their VIP awards system. GJP gives a very good one as does NOIQ and others.

You wont *NEED* 30 buy ins for 20nl , but it is advisable. I would advise to start taking shots of 3/4 buy ins when you reach 800 or so. 50nl really isnt that much different to 20nl.

I would also say, and this is purely from my experience, you will have moved up WELL before october if you bonuswhore, get a good VIP deal and have a solid game.

edit: before anyone else says it, I know I dont have a solid game

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭thedini

if u are looking to add to your roll each month dont play ppp. I know ur on about playing cash but assume its the same as the following. eg play 100 HU$2 games rake=$10. on ppp u get 180 pts ie 18 cent. most other places 30% minimum =$3. Its a massive difference and will add significantly to your roll.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭pocketdooz

mdwexford wrote: »
    Dont play on Powers, much better deals around, id reccomend going to PSO and start grinding some kickbacks.

Thanks but PSO = ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Presume im allowed link it..??!!

http://www.pokersourceonline.com/

The way to go to build a bankroll at micros for sure.

• Advertisement

Good man - nice one

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭RoundTower

just play for fun and deposit money when you run out. Do you really want to be a "grinder"?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭coillcam

Good post, I like your ambition.

PPP is a good site for recreational play. If you are serious about getting a good rakeback/cashback deal I'd post in this thread.... http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055037012
    You can request exactly what your looking for. You will be able to increase your roll way quicker through other sites than PPP as other posters have already mentioned. You can use moneybookers.com to deposit from your bank ac/laser/credit card and withdraw straight to your bank a/c also.

I would after a week or so bang on an extra table. Keep adding week by week until your comfortable. Personally 6/7 Tables is my happy medium. You'll also be able to get in more hands ---> more profit ---> more rakeback ---> move up levels quicker. Of course if you feel that too many tables reduces your edge or pushes you beyond comfort zone, drop them without hesitation. 5 hours a day is quite a bit of concentration. Try maybe breaking up into 2 X 2 hour sessions + 1 hour or whatever. Evening time is best on ipoker.

Stick up some screenshots of your stats and the guys will help you plug a leak or 2. Also any tricky spots you come across, again you'll improve yourself.

Buddy list bad players and look for them when you log on. Also investing in eyepoker will help you find the juiciest tables and players. You can also datamine peoples stats from this when your away from the tables.

GL

• Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

Pretty much how I started it. Nothing much to add, I would second most of the above
    Good luck

First off, Good plan. You seem to have yur head screwed on about it.

Secondly, move to a site that gives players better deals. PPP C*a*s*h is THE SINGLE biggest load of bollix Ive ever come across. Check out some other iPoker sites and their VIP awards system. GJP gives a very good one as does NOIQ and others.

You wont *NEED* 30 buy ins for 20nl , but it is advisable. I would advise to start taking shots of 3/4 buy ins when you reach 800 or so. 50nl really isnt that much different to 20nl.

I would also say, and this is purely from my experience, you will have moved up WELL before october if you bonuswhore, get a good VIP deal and have a solid game.

edit: before anyone else says it, I know I dont have a solid game

Thanks for that - so it looks like the C*A*S*H program is not considered to be any good by most (all) people who replied to this thread. I'll have to have a look around for the best deals so and see which suits. I don't have an Irish credit card so I'll have to see what sites accept moneybookers etc. as Coillcam suggested below. I'll take a good long look at that 'bonuswhoring' sticky aswell.

thedini wrote: »
    if u are looking to add to your roll each month dont play ppp. I know ur on about playing cash but assume its the same as the following. eg play 100 HU$2 games rake=$10. on ppp u get 180 pts ie 18 cent. most other places 30% minimum =$3. Its a massive difference and will add significantly to your roll.

Ye, sounds like this is the case mate thanks - I suppose at the stakes I'm at and looking to increase BR it will make a big difference - , didn't realise the difference was so big . . .

Just had a good look around this site - if anything, there nearly seems to be too much here but will set aside a few hours and get through it, thanks.
    RoundTower wrote: »
    just play for fun and deposit money when you run out. Do you really want to be a "grinder"?

I get you, but I'd rather play for real money to improve my game, build a BR etc. so play money won't work because there is no value related to the bets.
    coillcam wrote: »
    Good post, I like your ambition.

PPP is a good site for recreational play. If you are serious about getting a good rakeback/cashback deal I'd post in this thread.... http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055037012
    You can request exactly what your looking for. You will be able to increase your roll way quicker through other sites than PPP as other posters have already mentioned. You can use moneybookers.com to deposit from your bank ac/laser/credit card and withdraw straight to your bank a/c also.

I would after a week or so bang on an extra table. Keep adding week by week until your comfortable. Personally 6/7 Tables is my happy medium. You'll also be able to get in more hands ---> more profit ---> more rakeback ---> move up levels quicker. Of course if you feel that too many tables reduces your edge or pushes you beyond comfort zone, drop them without hesitation. 5 hours a day is quite a bit of concentration. Try maybe breaking up into 2 X 2 hour sessions + 1 hour or whatever. Evening time is best on ipoker.

Stick up some screenshots of your stats and the guys will help you plug a leak or 2. Also any tricky spots you come across, again you'll improve yourself.

Buddy list bad players and look for them when you log on. Also investing in eyepoker will help you find the juiciest tables and players. You can also datamine peoples stats from this when your away from the tables.

GL

Great advice as usual, good man. Will have a look at eyepoker, never really had a good look at it before.

I will throw up some screenshots and hands as this progresses alright and take the advice given from some (and deal with the wrath handed out by others . . .)

I am about to throw up a detailed post of what I'm looking for with regards to VIP/RB etc on that link now thanks.

cooker3 wrote: »
    Pretty much how I started it. Nothing much to add, I would second most of the above
    Good luck

Thanks, hopefully it will go well

PS - does anyone know anything about the Devilfish site - many players on that skin etc. ?

Appreciate all the feedback - alot to work with . . .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,434 ✭✭✭cardshark202

nothing to add really, except best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 MartinPride

Yeah the CASH program is not very attractive, I play on PPP this month just because of their raked hands race, thats a great value. From your opening post, you have a strong starting plan, good luck to you.

Advertisement