Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can someone tell me what i am looking for please?

Options
  • 10-06-2008 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Ok so i have an eircom wireless router setup at one end of my house, my Xbox 360 and laptop are down the other end just a little bit out of reach of a good signal. What i want to do is move my router to the same room as my Xbox and laptop.

About 30mins ago i disconnected every cable and brought the router to the new room and connected it to a standard telephone socket, but the DSL wasnt working, it said i had exellent signal but no internet access.

I went back to the old room where an eircom technician had installed the router and noticed that it wasnt an ordinary telephone socket, it was an extended one with a picture of a computer one one port and a phone on the other. I am aware now that this is the problem.

So, my question is, how do i change or go about changing the socket to work with my wireless router in this new room. Can i buy one of these special sockets?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭sham08

With your router you should have gotten a DSL filter, its a short lenght of telephone cable with a normal eircom fitting one end and a small box with a receiver on the other end, if you plug this in it will allow the router to pick up the signal, I think that is what is going on anyway. You normally get 3 of these filters with the box or else you can just take the one from the origional room.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭allybhoy

that is called a DSL filter, its used so you can use the phone and broadband at the same time. You shouldnt need it for the moment unless you are using the phone and broadband at the same time, if you do, the phone takes preference and the broadband goes off. Plug a normal phone into the phone socket that you wish to use, if you have a dial tone then there should be no reason why the netopia isnt working there as long as there isnt a phone on another socket being used. Plug the netopia into the new socket and just watch the light called DSL on the box. It should start flashing then remain constant. If it does then your BB will work

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

The router needs to be connected to the modem side of that device plugged into the socket (it's called a microfilter). If you have a phone socket in the room where the Xbox and laptop are, then plug one into it and connect the router to that.

All phones on your line must be connected to microfilters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭allybhoy

No Sham, its not actually a filter that he has, the filter is built into the phone socket so its not like he can unplug it if you know what i mean. Its like a double white RJ45 box, with a pc on one side and a phone on the other, eircom install them in new apartments/offices where broadband is prewired/available. I think thats what he means anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Brilliant.

All very helpful posts as its stuff i really wanted to know. Allybhoy was dead on though eircom actually fitted it into the wall so its not a filter. Ill have a look around and see if i got a filter with the router, if not ill buy one on ebay.

Thanks again guys!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭sham08

allybhoy wrote: »
    Its like a double white RJ45 box, with a pc on one side and a phone on the other, eircom install them in new apartments/offices
    Oh right, I didn't know that, I suppose it does make sense

Advertisement