Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want a dog, but think the house does not suit.

Options
  • 10-06-2008 12:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭

We bought my mother a yorkshire terrier for her christmas present this year. We have always had dogs at home, and when our last gun dog (a springer spanial) died last year, my mother said again that she would like one. I went down a few weeks after christmas to meet the dog, and have fallen head over heals for her, and now want one of my own.

However I am conerned that where I live would not be suitable. First off, I am a permanent employee, and work from home 95% of the time, so I am not worried about the dog being left alone. I live in rented accomodation with a permanent lease. I know it is not ideal to own a dog when you rent as landlords can change their mind at any time, but I am not going to own my own house for a very long time, and don't want to wait until I do, to own a dog.

The house is in the city, but has a patio out the back which is sometimes used as a parking space(it is accessed by a wooden gate which s/he could not get through). I would not let s/he out on her own, and only bring on the lead going out.

I live with my fiancee, and she is happy to look after it, if I was away for some reason.

The cost, and responsibility of having a dog in normal situations aside, are there other people in my situation, or a similar situation?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭Discostuy

Hey Skylops

The only thing i would say is to run it by the landlord first, because you dont want them to call around and freak out if they see a dog that they didnt approve off.
    Also (now im not 100% sure on facts of this) but i think if you rent, you aren't allowed keep certain dogs...dogs listed in the "dangerous dogs act"...i think you'd find the proper info from Dublin Council.

Other than that, you should go for it. But do your research on dogs that would suit you and your home. No point in getting a collie or lab that loves open fields. I hear retired/rejected greyhounds make good chilled out dogs. Maybe one of them wouldnt need a huge garden?.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭SnoozySuzie

I would definately ask the landlord first. I have two yorkies and the youngest (Buster) wrecked the house when he was a pup. He pulled the skirting boards off the wall, ripped chunks out of the wall paper and every wooden window sill and bedside locked was chewed within an inch of its life. He eventually stopped thank god:D
    My two are house hatchers once they are brought out on a walk they just want to lie around and snooze all day. So I think once you give the dog regular exercise and attention he should be ok?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Looking after a dog is a ful time job ,like looking after a child .All good if you have the time, paitence and love but othwise you just adding stress to your life imo .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Well I want to get a yorkshire terrier. As far as I know they are not listed as a dangerous dog, but as we all know its not the breed of the dog, its the way it is treated. Like kids I suppose.

The landlord never comes round. The agent is Sherry fitzgerald, and they are more interested in selling houses then managing houses, but I will ring them just to check.

I need to think long and hard about this, but I would love the company during the day, not to mention that it would get me out of the house to walk it.

Hmmm...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

I know a greyhound is fairly different to a yorkie, but you'll find they're a lot more maneagable in a house than a noisy yappy terrier would be. Greyhounds are calm and like to sleep a lot - they don't need a lot of excercise, 2 short walks a day, morning and evening is plenty for them. Even given their size, you might find their actual presence in your house is a lot smaller than a terrier. They're very affectionate, so would really recommend one in your situation. You can be fairly certain he/she won't be noisy when you're trying to work!
    As an added bonus, you'd get to rescue one!! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭Discostuy

You should definitley run it by the landlord/estate agent. All it takes is one complaint of barking from a neighbour, and you could find yourself out of a home...or having to rehome the dog...Better to be safe than sorry.

Terriers are nice dogs. Personnally i find small dogs to yappie and energetic :D
    My two are big (two akitas), but they (naturally by breed) are quiet as mice and once they get a good walk or run, will happily watch tv for the rest of the night.

If you have your heart set on a terrier, thats cool...but do look around at other breeds, you might find something different to match your lifestyle...and if anything it doesnt hurt to familiarise yourself with dogs/breeds/habits, likes and dislikes...

Advertisement