Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1st time renting

Options
  • 10-06-2008 8:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭

Me and my gf just signed the lease on our 1st apartment yesterday and we need to change our ESB and Gas bills from our landlords name into ours.

I have heard rumours that you need to pay a 1st time account fee that works out €700+ between both accounts. I have also heard that that only applies if your buying a place rather than renting??

I see there is an online service available to change both accounts into your name also.has anybody used or have any feedback on the efficiency of these online service???

Any help is appreciated :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭ojewriej

As far as I know, if the connection is already there you don't have to pay any charges for changing the names.

They might ask you to pay a deposit, but you won;t have to do it if you'll set up a direct debit with them.

I'm not 100% sure though, things might've changed since the last time i had to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭markpb

As far as I can remember, you can either opt to pay by direct debit or you can pay any other way but if you choose the second option, both of them want around €300 from you to make sure you pay. Buying or renting makes no difference to utility providers, all they want is their money.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

As ojewriej says- you don't normally have to pay to have the name on the connection changed. You need to ring them with a reading from the meters and normally its fairly straight forward. You will have to pay a large deposit if you are not amenable to paying the accounts by direct debit (I think the ESB are currently charging EUR800 for non-direct debit accounts).

S.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭jcoote

cheers for that folks :)

i sussed it out there i think...

esb want: €300 OR set up a direct debit

Bordgais want: €400 or €200 and direct debit + €115 connection fee

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Surely the gas is connected already?
    You are not connecting the gas- you are simply changing the name on the account.......

• Advertisement

smccarrick wrote: »
    Surely the gas is connected already?
    You are not connecting the gas- you are simply changing the name on the account.......

have a read of this and see what u make of it

http://www.bordgaisenergysupply.ie/htm/residential/2_become_customer/index.htm

edit.click the 'do you rent' button :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭BC

The 400 euro or 200 + DD is because you are a new customer. It is irrelevant whether the gas is connected or not.

The 115 should only apply if your meter is locked. In my experience its unusual for this to be the case so you shouldn't have to pay that.

yeah i knew about the €400 or €200 + dd being a new customer fee but i was unsure about the €115 connection fee thats great thanks :)

Advertisement