Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

H.Dip Maths?

Options
  • 10-06-2008 1:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Hey. I'm doing a computing degree right now and getting really interested in the maths we've been doing...

Does anyone know of any courses, maybe a conversion course or something that would bring up your maths skills, so you could go on to do a masters in something relevant (like numerical computing, visualisation, etc. - which all seem to want a maths/physics/engineering first degree)? I've looked and looked and have not found much.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

Most of the universities have a H. Dip in Maths that would bring you up to the level of a degree in Maths. Is that what you're after?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 bumbley

It depends on what entrance requirements are. I have very little maths background. And I'm worrying about struggling to catch up.

A computer science degree would be enough to get you into a H.Dip in Maths once you have a 2:1 or 1st.

But how can they do that? Computer Science does not have anywhere near enough maths in it. How can you expect to get to the equivalent of a 4 year degree in 1 year? Or even 2?

What I've seen is they want a first degree with enough maths content in it, or else other proof of mathematical ability. I don't expect the maths on my course would be enough.

And if they let me in, I'm not sure I could manage. I'm looking for something probably a bit different. Unless you really think I'm just worrying too much about it.

Anyone done one of these diploma courses?

I would imagine that you would have absolutely no problem getting into the H.Dip with a first in Computer Science. I'm pretty sure there was a CS student in the Maths Dept in NUIM in the last couple of years doing a H.Dip. Definitely Engineering students. Best thing to do is just to ring the department you're interested in joining and ask. A word of warning, the maths content of a H.Dip would differ a lot from the applied sort of stuff you'd ahve seen in your course. It's very theoretical so think it through before applying.

• Advertisement

Hey well thanks for all your replies and advise. I will ring a few places and do some more thinking. You've been very helpful.

Cheers

Advertisement