Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Managment co issues, vermin and flies.

Options
  • 10-06-2008 12:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

Hi all, looking for advice. For the past 4 years since we moved in we have had a major issue with flies. Most of the 62 units are affected. The managment co are aware of this and are doing nothing to combat it or try to get to the bottom of it. We live beside a council waste water depo. I thought that having 50-100 flies a day was the worst thing id have to deal with. That was ontill recently.
    For the past few weeks we have been over run with rats. We caught 15 in one week in our back yard and have had a couple in the house. Altogether there is 5 houses and 5 apartments so far that are affercted. The mangement co director said that there was not enough money put by for vermin control so they would only treat the "common area". Then when questioned they said that because we had them in our back yard its our problem they wont do anything. Surly if im paying fees this should be covered.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,201 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

P.A.C wrote: »
    Hi all, looking for advice. For the past 4 years since we moved in we have had a major issue with flies. Most of the 62 units are affected. The managment co are aware of this and are doing nothing to combat it or try to get to the bottom of it. We live beside a council waste water depo. I thought that having 50-100 flies a day was the worst thing id have to deal with. That was ontill recently.
    For the past few weeks we have been over run with rats. We caught 15 in one week in our back yard and have had a couple in the house. Altogether there is 5 houses and 5 apartments so far that are affercted. The mangement co director said that there was not enough money put by for vermin control so they would only treat the "common area". Then when questioned they said that because we had them in our back yard its our problem they wont do anything. Surly if im paying fees this should be covered.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Get onto your Local Authority IMMEDIATELY. They will advise and might send out an Environmental Health Officer. Rats are incredibly dangerous mate - you need to sort this immediately.

How old is your complex? Have the builders handed over control of the Management Co to the owners of units in your estate yet? If the rats are on your private property it might be up to you to sort it out alright, however there are huge general public concerns here and if the rats are in the apartment complex (internal common areas are owned by management co and therefore they are responsible for them) then it is their problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I worked as a property manager before and I know that anything to do with rats is a health control issue and must be dealt with asap. In reality it costs very little so using the budget as an excuse is rather weak.

I had experience of one property where a tenant of an apartment called in DCC saying the place was infested with rats. It wasn't and I could provide certificates for each pest control visit. However, DCC made it perfectly clear that any issue with rats must be dealt with by the management co/agent and there are fines and potential prosecution for not doing so.

The MC would have to lay bait boxes down in all external common areas as clearly the rats don't just confine themselves to back gardens and inside homes.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭P.A.C

Tanks guys, complex is 5 years old. I seem to be hitting a brick wall, iv been in touch with environmental health and they said it was the managment co responsability.So i hounded the managment and started telling anyone i spoke to in the complex about it as the managment were not alerting people. Anyhow things seem to be moving now. All relevent bodies have been told of the problem and are now on top of it so il just have to see how things go. We have had traps out for the last few nights and nothing. And pest contol laied traps in common area. Also depo behind said they have laid them too so im going round to check tommorw and im going to get the name of the health officer dealing with the depo so i can keep a cheack on things. Thanks for the advice hopfully its under control now.

Advertisement