Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with PC

Options
  • 09-06-2008 10:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭

Hello, a friend of mine built a computer for me from parts he had left over from a recent overhaul he made. Everything seems to be working perfectly on it except when I try move the files I have on my extern HDD (or my PMP) onto the hard drive of the PC. After a while the screen just freezes and I have to force shut down to reboot again. Once it went into blue screen mode and I was finally given some indication of what was going on:

stop: 0x0000009c (0x00000004, 0x8054D5F0, 0xB2000000, 0x00070F0F)

I entered this into google and have read through loads of forums and suggestions for the same error but have not arrived at a solution yet. Here are some of the things I have tried:

• memtest (turned out fine)
    • prime95 (no freezing)
    • fresh install of XP (professional) stil not working, even when completely fresh
    • updated all the drivers for motherboard, display, sound, etc
    • someone suggested that uninstalling nvidias ITE drivers might work (nope)
    • I tried two different devices for transfer (same problem occurs)

Here is a hardware list attached.

I'm stumped, so I'm reaching out and asking a bunch of strangers for help!

;)

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Microsofts solution!

RESOLUTION

Use the Windows Error Reporting tool

•Click Send Error Report when you are prompted to send the error report to Microsoft.

By no means do this. Microsoft will panic as its never had to deal with a sent error report!

Try removing all but your necessary componants. Leave 1 stick of ram in, 1 Hdd, no GFX card (use onboard graphics). See if its working then. If so, slowly add and test more componants.

Dare I say, a clean reinstall of windows wouldnt go amis, and install the drivers as needed. Eg, Dont install the Gfx drivers until you test the GFX card.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭pdevo

take the hdd out of the external case and put it in to the pc as a second hdd and try transfer files it could be your external drive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

Thanks, I will try those suggestions.

I'm not having much luck, any other ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

try booting pc,hold down f8 2 get to safe mode, copy a few files ,this will tell you if theres a driver interfering with the hd operating normally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭pdevo

have you tested both hdd and what did you use

Thanks gamer, I will try that. I have tested both HDD on other PC's, they are both fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭McSandwich

It sounds like the problem is with with your USB ports (assuming that your ext drive is USB). Try removing all USB related hardware from device manager, they should reinstall duing the next start up. Also try installing XP service pack 3 for latest drivers etc. If it still won't work, try a usb pci card if you can get your hands on one.

I tried all of the above, to no avail.

:(

I wanna hold off on buying hardware until I have exhausted the software route.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭McSandwich

Have you tried the drive on each of your usb ports?

Open the box and double check that the USB, IDE/ SATA cables, and power connectors are plugged into the MB correctly. Also check that pci cards and memory are seated correctly.

Verify that CPU cooling is adequate and that the PSU is powerful enough for your components

Try removing your page file, rebooting, and recreating it.

You could also try booting a Linux live CD (Ubuntu, etc.) and check if the drive works with that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

McSandwich wrote: »
    You could also try booting a Linux live CD (Ubuntu, etc.) and check if the drive works with that.

Just what I was thinking.
    Give it a good auld whack with the Live CD. Test it out. Only thing with the live CD is, yes its handy for ruling out the internal Hard drive as the fault, but if copying files to/from the hard drive is what crashes the laptop then doing this with a live CD doesnt rule out anything.
    Unless it works, then im ...:confused:

Advertisement