Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Burning PSU

Options
  • 09-06-2008 9:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭

Just had my psu start burning last night. Flames and smoke. It was a 240v and apparently should have been at least 350. Did a search there and found that other people had the same prob with exactly the same PC and PSU from Packard bell. I have a 350 in it now and it's much much quieter and seems to be faster on start up.

Should they not be recalling them? Could be very dangerous, I was nearly asleep last night when I noticed that there was an odd smell. I could have fallen asleep and it would have been burning for ages right beside me!!

Anyone else have this happen to them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭muggyog

I am assuming you are referring to Watts not Volts when describing your PSU rating. Similar to any electrical device, PSUs don't cope well to continuous overloading but usually there is some form of thermal cutout. Some (cheaper) PSUs cut corners in design and so risk the likes of what happened to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

packard bell eh....:rolleyes:

never heard of anything mains wise but 240volts....

• Registered Users Posts: 81,896 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

contact packard bell immediately. like you said it could be someone else's house on fire next, and companies are more likely to enforce a recall the more reports they receive.

Advertisement