Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Optimal Range & Linksys / BT routers

Options
  • 09-06-2008 9:11pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,177 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Hey there guys,

I already did a little digging for a decent replacement router & in general the WRT54G seemed to come up trumps, though with no concrete indication as to ranges / signal strength. To give some background, I'm living with my brother whose BT Voyager router is (and has to be ) in the main room; my signal's quite weak (26%) despite my network card having a small antenna to boost range. Pings aren't too hot so I want to replace the (what I imagine to be) the crappy BT model.

So I guess the newbish question I'm asking (and suspect know the answer to) is; Does the WRT54G have greater wireless range through the walls of a standard Irish appartment than the BT Voyager? The BT site claims signal strength of up to 50m but that's patently a lie considering the weak signal I'm getting here.

Cheers guys

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

It is impossible to predict the performance of any wireless equipment in any particular situation.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,177 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Well surely across equivalent distances (with in my case, 2/3 walls separating the router & computer, with about 5-10m distance) there would be a yardstick to say that yes, router a would give a better signal strength than router b?

Or is there another option to increase a wireless range / signal capture?

Advertisement