Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blu-Ray

Options
  • 09-06-2008 8:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭

Are blu-ray players region coded similar to dvd players ? (i'm assuming yes). And if so can they be adjusted (legally) similar to certain dvd players to be region free ? If so what brand would one recommend.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Some blu-ray are region-encoded, but a lot aren't - it varies by studio. There are various websites keeping track of what is and isn't region free. Each retail case also has a symbol on the back with it's region (A, B, C or ABC for region free).

Ireland no longer shares the same region as Japan, which means importing Asian movies etc. is a bit of a hassle.

As far as I know, blu-ray players can be unlocked - some require chipping, though I'm sure others can be unlocked using a remote hack.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭big_moe

to unlock for Blu Ray playback requires chipping, no remote hack that i've seen.

but a remote hack is available for some of them, namely the Panasonic DMP-BD30, that will allow multi region DVD playback but only region B or region free blu ray.

as nekkidBibleMan said though, alot of blu ray discs are actually region free already.

http://www.allianceelectric.ie/products/bluray/dmpbd30.htm

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭mburke

What would a better purchase be: a dedicated bluray player like the panasonic or just buying a sony ps3 which plays bluray disc's

is the sony ps3 as a bluray player any good ?

As somebody who has used both alot, I say that the Panasonic is a better player. I've seen them both in work for a long time and the Panasonic is better.

The one I have at home though? The PS3, for the simple fact that I use it for games. If I wasn't into games i'd buy the panny because the picture output is better.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

The PS3 has a huge advantage that its firmware and feature set is continually upgraded. When the blu-ray spec was upgraded, Sony simply issued a firmware update to make the PS3 fully compatable with its new features. Other manufacturers may do this, but not every box will be upgradeable, as the PS3 is.

I've got my PS3 outputting via HDMI to a 720p projector, and via optical to a 5.1 surround, and the quality is fantastic. I don't have a stand-alone blu-ray player, so I can't offer a comparison.

• Advertisement

I've got my PS3 outputting via HDMI to a 720p projector, and via optical to a 5.1 surround, and the quality is fantastic.

same here, except a plasma instead of a projector. picture is deadly, and all the other features as well make the ps3 worth while if you reckon you'll have a use for them.

panasonic are generally ok on firmware updates as well, but its more complicated to install and less often that the PS3 firmware

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

big_moe wrote: »
    to unlock for Blu Ray playback requires chipping, no remote hack that i've seen.

but a remote hack is available for some of them, namely the Panasonic DMP-BD30, that will allow multi region DVD playback but only region B or region free blu ray.
    Do you have details on that unlock? I think that's the model I have :)

you'll need either a pc with an infra-red yoke or a palm pilot yoke or a pocketPC yoke or else a OFA kameleon remote yoke.

then its the regular panny remote hack signals

0082 0015 0089 0004 00F2 0033 0018 0010 0091 0010

adam

big_moe wrote: »
    you'll need either a pc with an infra-red yoke or a palm pilot yoke or a pocketPC yoke or else a OFA kameleon remote yoke.

then its the regular panny remote hack signals

0082 0015 0089 0004 00F2 0033 0018 0010 0091 0010

adam

Big_Moe, could you explain this a bit further, is it a case of point the panasonic remote at the bluray player and keying in the above ?

Also noticed a hdmi dvd player in Lidl the last day and wondering are they worth investigating further. I assume that they upscale a dvd, but would one notice any real difference ?

you need to program either a

laptop with infra red
    palm pilot
    pocketPC
    OFA kameleon remote

to send the infra red values listed. you dont use the panasonic remote. if you read that thread i linked to on avforums it will tell you what to do. if you cant do it then some stores like Alliance Electric can do it for you.

the panasonic blu ray is a DVD upscaler as well. i wouldnt be too fond of a dvd player from lidl to be honest. i have a pioneer dvd upscaler (DV400) and it does make a difference to dvds on my tv (42" panasonic plasma)

adam

• Advertisement

Big_moe if you get an chance could you forward on the link to the details on avforums

sorry, i thought i linked to it for some reason!

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=368649

adam

Advertisement